1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Novice to replacing processors -advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shabena, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shabena

Shabena Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I hope someone here can give me some advice. I purchased the HP slimline desktop 260-a111na computer from Argos based on the reviews, it was on offer and seemed like a good deal but it's complete rubbish:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7287266
    It's very slow and I though it would be fine for just emails and shopping but having more that one webpage open makes it crash. Even logging into my email is a painfully slow process. I tried rebooting and removed mcaphee security, I decided to delete anything unused and defragmented but nothing improved. I complained to HP but they have robbed me off for months and now the warranty is almost over.

Now I am thinking to upgrade the processor but I haven't got a clue which one to choose or how to go about doing it. Can anyone make some recommendations of which processor I should go for ? Not sure what is compatible or even if it can be upgraded or replaced. I need something that's not too expensive and will enable me to have a few applications open like internet explorer, word or excel, photo editor, with out the computer crashing.

Also if there is a step by step guide I can follow that would be really helpful.

Many thanks

2. replay

replay

E6A87325-EEC1-45E7-A381-482283E1BF27.png The apu is not upgradable

3. replay

replay

You may have some memory issues
    Also it’s prob Windows 10
    You can reset the pc..... this might help and give u a fresh start, maybe a update has crippled the system

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  4. Shabena

Shabena Thread Starter

Hi Replay. Thanks for replying. If apu is not upgradable does that mean it can't be replaced either?

I have reset the pc many times as that was what HP suggested. It's fine for a day then it's slow again. I turned off the updates to see if that was the problem but I don't think it is as with or with out updates it's very slow.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP 260-a111na Desktop PC (support site)

Product Specifications

As already stated in post #2, its AMD E2-7110 APU processor is not upgradeable and cannot be replaced.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

Probably soldered to the board like a laptop APU, I looked in another HP a while back and it looked like they put a laptop motherboard in a small desktop case with an external power supply. My personal opinion, I do not like HP and wouldn't buy one. Seen too many failures from poor design. It is possible in your case you may have memory problems, might want to test them with Memtest 86

You have to extract it and burn it as an ISO "

Create a bootable CD-ROM, Also an option to run it as a bootable USB

Memtest 86 http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

1.Download the Windows MemTest86 ISO image.

2.Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here� option. This places the CD-ROM ISO image into the current folder.

3.Use the CD burning software available on your system to create a CD-ROM using the extracted ISO image. Be sure that you create a CD image from the ISO file rather than placing a copy of the ISO file onto a data CD. Look for �Burn Image from File� or similar option under the File menu of your CD burning software.

The only thing that might help is to add more memory, 2 sticks of 4GB each. I have an old dell with a Pentium dual core with 4GB, windows 7 and it runs multiple programs fine. Even converts AVI files and burns to DVD's.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

I was going to suggest adding another 4 GB of RAM, but I doubt it will help much, if any at all, with that weak AMD processor.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. replay

replay

even that weak apu should be able to surf the web with no problems!!!
    also the computer has other good reviews on the site where purchased
    so there must be something else going on

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice