1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Now have broadband but still want dialup as well

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brindy, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brindy

brindy Thread Starter

I recently had broadband set up on my PC but have lost the use of dialup.
    Still want dialup as a backup & in case I run out of megs that I'm allocated to in my broadband setup. Can I have both & if so how.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Brian

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

What carrier are you with? If you're using AOL or Earthlink broadband, you can use the dial-up as well (I think).

However, if you're carrier does not have dial-up connection, you have to pay for the dial up service extra.

3. brindy

brindy Thread Starter

I'm with Xtra broadband. But I wanted to keep the ISP Freenet dial-up service as well.
    I am still able to send & receive emails using Freenet though.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

There is no reason why you can't use both. As long as you still have a phone line connected to your dial-up modem all you have to do is go into your Internet Connection Properties and tell your computer which connection to use. To do this, Right-Click your Internet Explorer and choose PROPERTIES. When the Internet Properties come up choose the tab labeled CONNECTIONS. There should be a radio button labeled "NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION." This should ALWAYS be checked when you are using your broadband. To use your dial-up you would UNCHECK this button and check "ALWAYS DIAL MY DEFAULT CONNECTION" and make sure your dial-up connection appears as the default dial up connection in your list of available connections. There is also a radio button labeled "DIAL WHENEVER NETWORK CONNECTION NOT PRESENT." You could select this button and then whenever you wanted to use your dial-up you could unplug your network cable or just turn off your broadband modem. By doing this, your computer would not detect your broadband and automatically default to your dial-up (y)

5. brindy

brindy Thread Starter

Hi rollin Again.
    I followed all your instructions but still no luck.
    When I try to dial-up I keep getting this error message titled "Error connecting to Freenet"
    Error 797: The connection failed because the modem (or other connecting device) was not found. Please make sure that the modem or other connecting device is installed."
    My phone line is definitely plugged into my PC. For some reason my modem is no longer visible to the system. Incidently, my PC is connected to another PC in the house by a router cable, but this should'nt have a bearing on my problem, should it?
    Any other suggestions to solve my problem.
    Thanks.
    Brian.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Is the modem in your device manager? To check, right-click My Computer on your desktop and select Properties. Next select the Hardware tab and click Device Manager. Look through the list and see if your modem still exists in the list of hardware. If the modem does exists in your device manager it is possible that you may only need to re-install your drivers.
    You may also want to make sure that the modem connection is still enabled within your networking properties.

Rollin

7. brindy

brindy Thread Starter

Hi Rollin.
    No, the modem no longer shows in my device manager? The technician who set up broadband for me must have uninstalled it. What can I do to reinstall the modem again?
    Thanks
    Brian.

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Goto your Control Panel and select "ADD HARDWARE" and follow the steps to see if Windows can detect the modem that is connected to your computer. If Windows does not find it, you may need to pull the modem out and re-insert into another slot before Windows will detect it. What Operating System are you using?

Rollin

9. brindy

brindy Thread Starter

No, Windows cannot detect the modem. Under Modem in Control Panel there is writen "HCF 56k Modem not present."
    My operating system is Win 2000. Looks as if I will have to pull the Modem out & re-insert it into another slot as you suggested.
    Brian

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/251981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice