1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Now motherboard and now no one can connect to my servers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cptnobvious, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cptnobvious

Cptnobvious Thread Starter

I play a lot of computer games and generally I end up hosting the server for my friends.
    A month or two back I had my PC die and just managed to fix it today with a new motherboard. I switched my Asus P8 P67 LE for a P8 Z77-V LX.
    The motherboard seems to work fine and everything's going great except for the fact that suddenly no one can connect to any servers I host. I've been around the block and I understand port forwarding, so I know that's not my problem. We've tested on minecraft and the source engine, whenever I give someone my external IP (from whatsmyip.com) and they try to connect to it their connection times out. I can connect to the server on localhost just fine, but when I try to connect to myself through the external IP (Which usually works fine in minecraft) even I timeout.
    I installed the realtek drivers that came with the motherboard so I'm really not sure what's up. Everything worked fine before the switch. Any idea what's up?

Using a
    Linksys E1550 router.
    Asus P8 Z77-V LX motherboard (Previously P8 P67 LE).
    I can get more information as needed.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably a firewall blocking or the port forwarding is incorrect (e.g., computer's IP address?). Since local access works I'd lean towards the latter.

3. Cptnobvious

I've checked the firewalls, they shouldn't be the source of the problem as the programs are allowed through. The port forwarding must be correct as I've hosted the games off our laptop through the same router. If the IP is wrong I have no idea why, I'm not doing something goofy like giving them 192.168.1.1 or 127.0.0.1. Honestly the only change to the desktop has been the motherboard and the Ethernet drivers (which are up to date).

4. srhoades

srhoades

You gave yourself the exact same static IP that you had before you swapped the motherboard?

5. Cptnobvious

Turns out it's the router. After unplugging everything and doing the hard reset I skipped plugging the router back in. PC to Modem hosts just fine. I have yet to try the router.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice