1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Now What Do I Do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mr M, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr M

Mr M Thread Starter

In an attempt to reinstall the modem driver (obtained from the SONY website) for the modem that came with my SONY VAIO, I keep getting the message "This software is not for this model computer". Worse than that, SONY Tech Support (i.e., on-line chat, or email, or phone support) can't solve it. I can uninstall the device from the Device Manager and, upon reboot, Windows XP (MCE) WILL find it and install it, but because of a problem I have with the Windows Fax Service (it keeps stopping for no apparent reason), I've been advised to reinstall the original drivers. Suggestions? P.S. When I Google the error message, I see that others get it with other SONY drivers at times:confused: .

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

out of curiosity
    if u go to control panel>phone and modem options under the dialing rules tab is it blank where it says locations?

3. Mr M

Mr M Thread Starter

It says "HOME" which is what I enter when the computer prompts me to name something about the system. Why?

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

In my Phone & Modem Options, for some reason, the location was
    blank, and this prevented the software from using the
    modem

5. Mr M

Mr M Thread Starter

Question for YOU "cgesicki"...under "MODEMS", what does it show your modem attached to? Thanks.

6. cgesicki

cgesicki

well i have 2 modems ones on com3 the other com4

7. Mr M

Mr M Thread Starter

is that my ONE modem shows up on COM3, yet COM3 does NOT appear under PORTS in the Device Manager. SONY can NOT tell me why this is.

8. cgesicki

cgesicki

9. Mr M

Mr M Thread Starter

Does your COM3 appear under PORTS in the Device Manager?

10. cgesicki

cgesicki

no just com1 and lpt1

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice