1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

now wont start in safe mode either

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eoin, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

Hello, and thanks in advance I have recieved a lot of help in this forum in the past. Last night my pc started running at 100%cpu and I unchecked a few things about searching from the start menu. They said it would stop casuing the exploerrer.exe to run at 100%. Then last night it kept crashing, but I was able to start it in safe mode. I did the system check today after work but now it asks how I want it started i have chosen all the options. It looks like its about to start then it goes to a gray screen and stops there. I know a lot has been posted about this. Is all hope lost? Of course I have files that I should have backed up ages ago... Thank you and I know you guys are busy.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Who said please

Make and model if branded.
    Do you have the XP CD

3. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

its a gateway model MA7 bought in 2005. dont know if I have the CD maybe.

4. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

Oh sorry I dont know who said to uncheck "dont search for files" Thats the only thing I did but the cpu problem was happening before. Thanks

5. Macboatmaster

Please tell me exactly what you did to carry out this
    and what was the system check you ran today after work

I cannot find MA7 Go here and find your computer model please and THEN send me the link.
    http://support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?tab=1

6. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

Some person on a forum said to uncheck the box tht said "dont check for files" when you right click on start menu and click properties. in xp I think you can get there through "folder options" anyway I did that and then the computer woulddnt allow me access to "my computer" or "my documents" this was last night, I then had to reboot and it would only start in safe mode. Ive tried a bunch of times tonight but it starts up looks fine then goes to a sort of grey screen. Well last night I was able to start in safe mode and follwed instructions to do syschk or check disk.

7. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

8. Macboatmaster

Send me the link please to the forum where you found the info for the uncheck the box that said dont check for files

See the last please re the Gateway site.
    Which chkdsk did you run and how please. IN the GUI by right clicking the drive in My Computer or from a cmd prompt and what did you enter for the chkdsk or which boxes did you check to commission it

9. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

I simply unticked the box that said "dont search for files" which can be found in folder view. I did the disk check in safe mode. I dont know what forum that was in, but surely unchecking that box cant have caused this damage?

but thanks a lot for your help if there is any way i can at least get some files back that would be great!

10. Macboatmaster

I do appreciate how difficult this is for you.
    However would you please try to answer the questions with more detail.
    I know you ran chkdsk in Safe Mode beacuse you said so.
    What I asked was HOW. chkdsk at cmd prompt. chkdsk /f, chkdsk /r.
    OR which box did you check if through My Computer.

GATEWAY SITE please I cannot find a MA7 SEEN IT NOW it was not there when I typed the second request, as it came on the forum after I had posted

Send me the link please to the forum where you found the info for the uncheck the box that said dont check for files

11. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...009028nv.shtml

Ok this is the link for my laptop.

its not an MA7 its an MX6214 i found it doing a google search.

to your other questions Im trying to remember what I did. i didnt use a command prompt i right clicked on my computer and went from there.

Mate, I know this is frustrating for you cause I dont have the knowledge but I appreciate your patience.

12. Macboatmaster

If you go to the link you sent me for the gateway - which you did well to find on just the MA7 info because I could not, see page 30 onwards for recovery options.
    HOWEVER if you have not ever created the DVD/CD you will only have the option of recovering to the original installation which will mean that you will lose everything.

I really do need to know how you ran chkdsk and did you see the results.
    The unchecking of this box COULD be the answer. Do you NOT have the details - you keep on telling me in folder view. - but WHICH box and where.

13. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

I dont know the forum where I saw that but I remember what I did. I unchecked that box. they didnt give any instructions after that. you can find it on xp thru the folder view option on control panel

14. eoin

eoin Thread Starter

Im sorry I have another laptop with xp im starting it rigt now i will go thru and tell you exactly what I did. thanks again

15. Macboatmaster

Further to the above if you ran chkdsk WITHOUT checking the boxes automatically fix file system errors and check for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, then this is chkdsk in READ ONLY MODE and would NOT achieve anything.

Can you burn a CD on the other computer if I send you the program.
    Please do not sign off without telling me you are going and I will do the same for you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice