1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NP-RV511 S02UK samsung laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by julie23666, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. julie23666

julie23666 Thread Starter

i've just bought a np-rv511 s02uk samsung laptop, it comes with a 5400rpm hard drive in it. i want to replace that hard drive with a 7200rpm drive... would this cause overheating and cutting out? i've phoned samsung technical support twice and they are rubbish. The rest of the spec is ok, i5480 processor, 64 bit operating system... 5400rpm drive lets it down i think.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure you can use a 7200 RPM drive, or for even better performance an SSD. You will likely get some benefit from moving up from a 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM drive, but if you go to an SSD it will be a much more significant difference.

3. julie23666

cheers for your answer, solid state drives take longer to write to so i don't think i'm going to put one of those in, my 5400rpm drive is sata3. would it matter if i put a sata3 or sata2 7200rpm drive in the laptop?

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Dont know where you got your info from, but an SSD is not slower at writing than a conventional drive- or at least the 3 I am using are not. Both read and write speeds are greater, leading to higher performance.

5. julie23666

i had to wait for a 3 laptops with solid state drives in for ages to install w7 service pack, where the mechanical drives were quicker. will check out the prices for the solid state drives but reckon they will be too expensive for what i want the laptop for. i just hope now i can put a sata II drive in when the old one was a sata III?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Definitely not the case at all, SSD's excel at both reading and writing, with the exception of the really cheap SSD drive's that may offer a lesser performance advantage than more expensive and larger capacity drives.

Here's an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227737
    Read: 550MB/s, Write: 495MB/s
    Compare that to say a WD Black 500GB 2.5" drive that maxes out at around 125MB/s and averages out at just under 100MB/s.

You can use SATA 3Gb/s drives with a SATA 6Gb/s interface.

Mechanical drives also offer the better capacity versus price ratio.

7. julie23666

cheers for suggestion triple6 but i think i want 500gb of storage space on the laptop... cheapest way to do it is get a mechanical drive, could i replace the sata III 5400rpm drive with a sata II 7200rpm drive and notice any difference?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It should be a bit quicker, but its only a 1.3 times the spindle speed difference, so it won't be very significant.
    You can also see if you can find benchmarks for both your existing drive and the new drive and see how they compare. Some new 5400RPM drives don't have too much trouble keeping up with some 7200RPM drives.

Yes, you can use a SATA II drive with a SATA III capable controller.

9. julie23666

cheers triple6, you have been a great help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!