1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NSW/NIS 2002 Corrupt Registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BugMaster, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BugMaster

BugMaster Thread Starter

For starters, I am running Windows XP Home, and I have 2 physical disks, and 3 partitions total. My C: Drive (10GB) is off disk 1, a 20 gig. C: is NTFS. My d: is disk 2, a 30 gig FAT32. My E: drive is also off of disk 1, and is FAT32. Whenever I have installed a Norton product, I get a BSOD before the welcome screen. It says that the registry is irreparably corrupted. I try booting to last good settings, but no effect. I contacted Symantec, and they said it was due to the NTFS/FAT32 conflict. I have PartitionMagic 7, so I could convert back to FAT32 (last time I tried I had to reformat), but I like NTFS security.

So, two questions:
    1. Would converting D: and E: to NTFS help?
    2. Is it true that some apps are incompatible with NTFS (mainly games, some slightly older)

If there is no incompatibility, I'll just convert the other two partitions. If there is, would just converting E: (the other disk 1 partition) work? All i have on C: is windows, all I have on E: is Office XP, PM7, and (when installed) Norton products. D: is only one partition, and I use it for data, files, and games.

Thanks for any available help.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Some games go into a DOS mode and NTFS is not supported within it, so converting all drives to NTFS is dependent on your applications. I would ask yourself do you really need the Norton application? There are usually alternative products.

3. elsinaj

elsinaj

Which Norton tool is it?

A lot of those tools do direct disk access when not specifically written for NT/2000.

A.J.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice