1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NT 4.0 on new hardware

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sidvail, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidvail

sidvail Thread Starter

Should I expect problems when installing NT 4.0 on a brand new Athlon 3200 with 1 gig of DDR3200 memory? 120Gb hard drive. The boss does not want to upgrade to Server 2000 or 2003 yet. But I had to rebuild our server. It took all day to get it up and running, but as soon as I installed Service Pack 6a, it dumped and will not boot again.

Am I fighting a losing battle here? Or should it install and run properly on this new equipment?

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. sidvail

sidvail Thread Starter

Thanks Dan. You're right, NT would not install. I did manage to install on a little bit older board with a 1200 Duron. I then pulled the hard drive and stuck it in the new 3200 system and it booted fine. Seems to be working - but I don't think I'll leave it there. Don't trust it.

Guess the boss will have to upgrade soon. Not much hardware left out there that will take this NOS.

Again, thanks for the reply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice