1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NT 4 versus Win98Se

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RedRebel, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRebel

RedRebel Thread Starter

I am currently using win98Se and it crashes a lot. I purchased NT 4.0 from Ebay and am a little relunctant to install it because my son had it and said he didn't like it at all. Can I find any improvement using NT 4.0 over Win98se?

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

While NT4.0 is a "better" OS, it was not meant for the "home" user that is not a computer wiz. Neither OS is supported by Microsoft, at least not fully. There are, however, many good support sites like this one that could help with problems, but I would still not recommend NT4 for most home users. Window2000 Pro is more likely to be a better choice as the bugs have been mostly exposed and fixed or plugged, and it is quite stable. If you choose to load the NT4.0, get the service pack 6a and have it ready to install to get the OS to the most stable configuration. Make sure that the PC you have and all the peripherals (CD, DVD, Video card, etc.) are on the hardware compatibility list for NT as it will be difficult to get them to work if they are not on the list.

You will probably get advice to go to XP as a better choice than W2k, but as I don't use it, I can't recommend whether or not that is a good choice. Some people like it, some don't. W2k is much more like 98 than XP is as to how most of the functions are accessed, but that doesn't mean that XP is bad, just different in methodology.

Hope this helps!

Remember, the older we get, the more we know that we don't know anything. Only teenagers know everything, don't believe me, just ask one!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice