NT Authority System Shutdown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Panda2894

Keeps happening , along with Error sign saying hard error! I've been told my hard drive is failing, or my operating system. Which one could it be? sometimes my pc tower starts clicking and when this happens my desktop icons sometimes disappear and then I have to reboot from the tower and then I'm good for a couple of days. I have repaired the operating system just a few days ago, thats when the NT stuff started. This happens every time I use the dell operating system cd. I checked for viruses and spy ware with what I have installed and also online with trend micro. Please help I need to be able to get my pictures out of my computer I only have a DVD drive. Ordered a combo but dell messed up and I didn't even realize it til just recently.

I would suggest you get yourself a DVD burner. They are VERY cheap off of newegg these days and VERY easy to install. Clicking noises are probably coming from your hard drive and that is definitely not a good sign. Don't use your system anymore until you have means of backing up the data you need off of it. Flash drives are also pretty cheap these days. It might be worth your while to pick up a 2 gig flash drive and back up what you need. Get new hard drive and do a clean install.

The error that you are getting in full detail would be helpful. Aside from the normal hard drive read/write noises you should not hear any clicking coming from your pc.

Panda2894 said:
sometimes my pc tower starts clicking and when this happens...
"Clicking" sounds can often come from the hard drive - a classic sign that it is nearing the end of it's useful life.

Figure out what brand the drive is (Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung, etc) and download the manufacturer's (free) diagnostic utility. WD's is "DLGDIAG", Seagate's is "SeaTools", etc. Some run inside Windows but most will make a bootable floppy disk.

Run the tool, do a full diagnostic. If it gives you an error code or tells you the drive has bad sectors, immediately copy any important data off the drive. (Actually, you should be doing that right now. Stop reading, go buy a big flash drive, a USB hard drive, or a new DVD-RW and burning software. Just copy any important files to some other media, ASAP.)

A. Woolf

If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://rate.affero.net/awoolf/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online