1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NT disk mirroring problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DMac, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DMac

DMac Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    Here is a strange problem: On one of my Windows NT servers, which is running Exchange 5.5, is getting a few error messages in event viewer. On this server I have two IDE drives configured in a RAID 1 configuration (mirroring). The drives were mirrored using NT's disk administrator utility. These drives have been successfully mirrored for about a year.
    The errors tha I am receiving in event viewer are:

Event ID 6 -
    The device \Device\Harddisk1\Ft1 that is part of a fault tolerance set has failed and will no longer be used.

The device \Device\Harddisk1\Ft2 that is part of a fault tolerance set has failed and will no longer be used.

Event ID 9 - The device, \Device\ScsiPort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Event ID 26 -The driver has detected that device \Device\ScsiPort0 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

Disk administrator is showing the volume as "Broken".
    I have not istalled any new software on the machine lately and the service packs are all up to date.

Any ideas? Hardware failure of some kind perhaps?

Thanks in advance,

DMAC

2. PEMac

PEMac

DMAC,

Event ID 9 - The device, \Device\ScsiPort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Event ID 26 -The driver has detected that device \Device\ScsiPort0 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.
    Timeout and out-of-date firmware errors could be caused by Microsoft Technet issue Q168483. Your subsequent errors may be as a result of these initial errors.

Also try querying www.google.com with 'out-of-date firmware' - that is how I found the info.

I have been tracking a similar fault on a NT4.0 workstation at SP6a and came across your post - hope this is of some use

3. Rockn

Rockn

Is the disk that has broken from the mirror physically damaged? Run some diags on the disk just to be sure. That is the only time I have ever seen this type of message when a drive has gone bad. Might be an entirely different issue with NT on and IDE controller and drives.

4. DMac

DMac Thread Starter

I ran Diags on both disks, and they checked out OK. Just for kicks I replaced the power supply and regenerated the mirror. So far it has been over a week and the mirror is still healthy. Myabe that solved it. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks,

DMAC

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!