NT login

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

denesh

Hello. What I am tring to do is that when a user logs onto the network I went the name of that person to be displayed on the intranet when they access the intranet. Is there anyway that this can be done and how

Seen where on the intranet? Intranets are usually web based applications, this would be a function of that application not the NT login.

denesh

what me want to do is to display the users name on the intranet by using the NT login so that when they are logged onto the Network and they view the intranet its got their name displayed.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
The only thing I think you could do is run a script at login that updates some type of database which publishes to a webpage. Never done it but I am sure it is possible.

Or you could do this:
Schedule a Program like NBTscan to run on your network every minute or so. Have the output of that published to a webpage or a share on the network where users can view the file.

Don't they have to log onto the intranet? Use the intranet login to track their sessions on the application.

DoubleHelix

Banned
The ID they use to log in is stored in the registry. Can you pull that and get the person's name from Active Directory (or something like that).

Web Dev isn't my forte, but I'm tryin' here.

denesh

Ok the plan is that I am creating a Intranet. I am not using a database. What I would like to do is to get the name of the person logged onto the network and publish that name on the Intranet. Does anyone have any ideas in how to do this

DoubleHelix

Banned
Unless people log in with their actual name, you'll have to do some sort of referencing between the login info used on the local computer and another system that translates that to a name.

What are you writing your intranet application in? I believe .Net can access anything in Active directory as mentioned earlier.

denesh

I am using Dreamweaver to create the Intranet. Do u know how to do this because I dont have a clue and dont know where to start

Your web server has to run .net forst off and be able to access AD. I would look for .net tutorials and put Active Directory into the search parameters as well.

Simply put, for your intranet you will need to have "Integrated Windows Authentication" selected only on the "Directory Security" tab. Your users will login to the network and be authenticated for Intranet access (those without authenticating will have a popup box for credentials on their first visit to the Intranet). Next put this in you code where you want it.

Welcome, <%Response.Write (Request.ServerVariables("auth_user"))%>

That's it. Now if you want to get more technical with it you can add other fields to manipulate it.

You can make it bold:

Welcome, <b><%Response.Write (Request.ServerVariables("auth_user"))%></b>

Strip out the domain name if applicable (DOMAIN\username). The "8" below would be counted from the left to remove 7 letters of the domain name plus 1 for the \

Welcome, <b><%Response.Write Mid(Request.ServerVariables("auth_user"),8))%></b>

Convert the case

Welcome, <b><%Response.Write ucase(Mid(Request.ServerVariables("auth_user"),8))%></b>

Whatever you want, just mod it to your liking. You asked for "can and how". How about "yes and like this". I hope this helps. :)

drew

denesh

hey drdrew1469 me tried the code you gave it it doesnt work. Me created a test page

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>
Welcome, <%Response.Write (Request.ServerVariables("auth_user"))%>

</body>
</html>
and uploaded it but it didnt work. The Integrated Windows Authentication is already set up in the school. Any ideas

First, save this as an asp file (not mandatory, but mine is, I think html should work also if everything else is configured properly). Second, make sure you are testing it from an iis server. Third an most important, make sure that iis is configured properly or it won't work at all! (see above).

I set this up on my intranet here at work a while ago and it's run beautifully ever since. You are missing something along the way, let me know how you make out.

hth,

drew

denesh

the server @ school which stores the intranet is managed by a third party company so what I will do is to see if iis is installed. The code above which i have created to test sample on does it look ok to u

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online