1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nt server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chrisbl, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisbl

chrisbl Thread Starter

Was advised by a software company that was helping us to troubleshoot a software package that fails to work, that they wanted me to send them our event logs, do they mean go to event viewer and save the lod as .evt or go the logs themselves.

Also they said to clear the application log and recreate the software problem, I cleared the log but some 30 mins later there is nothing showing at all in the log, I cleared the system log and events have started to reappear in this log. Does the application log take longer to register?

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

(almost) anything you do on a computer will create a entry in an event log. If you put the log on here I could tell you what the different entries mean.

3. chrisbl

chrisbl Thread Starter

I haven't got anthing to show from the application log, I cleared it as instructed by the software bods, but nothing has reappeared on the log since, why?

4. rawmeat

rawmeat

The application log is much more determined by the log settings and the only default entries are usually problems encountered in an application. If the log is empty, then you have not reproduced the problem, or you have not set the log to capture the application events. Is this NT4 or W2K? In W2k, you go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security settings, Local Policies and check the audit settings and turn on auditing of events. Some settings will cause the log files to become very large very fast. You may want to ask the vendor what he needs to be audited. If it is Process tracking, then turn it on, try to reproduce the error and turn it off. For NT, I don't remember off the top of my head, but I can check tomorrow if you need the steps to turn on auditing on NT4.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice