NT system policies

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

goosed

I'm a newbie at managing an NT4.0 server and have implemented system policies for users. I would like to know how to restrict users from downloading executables from the web? Please help as well as sharing with me any books that may point me in the right direction for managing the server etc. Thank you.:) :cool:

Max19

Account Disabled
Books are great, but you should really take some classes on Windows NT server management.

goosed

I have taken server management courses, but they don't go indepth. Most courses are time restricted, and with the volume of material they have to teach, there's no time for specifics. Also my program of backups is probably superior to most administrators and that was not an issue here for discussion. If there is anyone who can help with suggestions on implementing a restrictive policy to stop executables from being downloaded I'd love to hear from you. Also would I need to look at third party software for that?

Brooks

The thing about backups is Max's signature that gets added to all his posts automatically. You can tell if it is a signature by the fact that it has a solid line above it going approx. 1/4 of the way across the post. Also, signatures don't show up when replying to someones post.

I have one also and I must say that it is a scream :D

Now on to your post.

You could set a run list in your policies that will only allow the users to run the applications that you specify. Used in conjuction with the proper permissions set on the .exe files, this can be effective. The easiest way to set the permissions is from the command line with the cacls command. They can still download them, but they cannot run them.

Your best bet on preventing them from downloading executables is a third party solution. There is no easy way to do it with a standard windows install. Netscape or should I say Iplanet makes a proxy server that can be set to block executables. It allows blocking of any mime type. http://www.iplanet.com/products/iplanet_proxy/home_2_1_1ae.html

you can use admin kit for ie to prevent users from downloading exe or flat out downloading. Honestly, I haven't done it in a while but I remember u have to set up a build and then you create a cab file which resticts users. If I had my dam IE book I'd look it up right now but I have to get my book back. hate when that happens!

nt4?

there is a program called policy editor, can't remember where is it. you can try this

start>run>poledit

then try to edit the default policy. or you can go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet

serach for policy, they should have all the detail you needed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online