NT Workstation over XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kenRich05

A friend of mine runs a preschool and has 3 old P3 computers that the kids use for simple games. He asked me to clean the hard drives and update the OS. Somehow, they have XP Pro installed - illegal copies that cannot be updated. He has disks for NT Workstation – legal copies (two have never been opened). I want to take the illegal OS off and put the legal OS on. So far, I haven’t figured how to do that and going backwards doesn’t seem to be covered when I did a Google search on how to do that. I tried “format c:” from XP and it does not want to do that, even from safemode and a prompt window. I tried booting from the CD drive and the install program for NT Workstation does not know how to do what I want either. Suggestions?

Do you want to save any data on XP? If not just download the attachment and create a boot floppy with flashbootfloppy.exe which is a basic boot floppy. Then copy delpart, which is in the attachment, on to the floppy and boot from it. At the prompt type delpart and delete the existing partition. Now boot from the NT CD and install.

Attachments

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You should be able to boot with the NT disks and delete any existing partitions on the drive during the setup. Then recreate a new partition and continue with the install.

kenRich05

Lance1:

Tried to use flashbootfloppy.exe but it gave me an error message of "Floppy can't be acceded. Check another application don't use it". I can create a boot CD - is that an alternate method?

Squashman:

When I try the NT install CD it starts giving me messages like "hard disk has more than 1024 cylinders" it is only a 12mb drive. It gives me the options of install NT, create partition or delete highlited partition. If I select delete it still gives me a "cannot format the partition because it is too large" If I select create do I really want to create a new partition - and what size?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you execute that file he posted to create the boot floppy. You can't just put it on a disk and expect it too boot.

Use his disk with Delpart to remove all the partitions on the disk.

I believe NT is limited to 8gb's for the system partition. It cannot be any bigger than that.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=224526

kenRich05

I put flashbootfloppy.exe on my desktop and it gave me the error message I listed in a previous post. Lets get beyond that.

I made a floppy with the XP operating system on it, then copied delpart.exe to the floppy. I then had to change the bios so it would read the floppy before the hard drive and rebooted. I successfully executed delpart.exe and changed the bios back to CD, C: A: and now it will not recognize the Windows XP operating system. But when I try to boot from the CD with the NT Workstation it still refuses to format the partition because it is too large. The hard drive is only 12meg so I do not understand why it cannot format.

It still gives me an option to create a partition, but what size to create?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
kenRich05 said:
IBut when I try to boot from the CD with the NT Workstation it still refuses to format the partition because it is too large. The hard drive is only 12meg so I do not understand why it cannot format.
I hightly doubt the hard drive is only 12meg. Maybe 12gb. You cant even install Windows 95 on 12meg. If you used delpart correctly there shouldn't be any partition to format, so I am not sure how or when you are getting that message. Could you eplain that a little better.

It still gives me an option to create a partition, but what size to create?
I think I answered that question with the link I posted above.

kenRich05

OK. My error. 12959 MB hard drive.

I created a 6479 MB partition for the C: drive. I try to install on my newly partitioned C: drive and try to format using NTFS and get the message "Setup format the partition C: New (Unformattted) 6479 MB on 8057 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi because it is too large. You must return to the previous screen and select or create a smaller partition." What now?

kenRich05

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! And the answer is so simple – when you know it. Now we are getting somewhere – NT 4.0 did install. I had forgotten about such antiquated things like a floppy disk for an Emergency Repair Disk. The tutorial was helpful also. I chose the typical option.

I now have new problems.
1) “Seconds until highlighted choice will start automatically” default is 28. How can I shorten that?
2) Non networked PCs in a preschool do not need passwords. I created an account with the name “strike enter key” with a password of – you guessed it - just an enter key. But is there some way to get around this altogether? Or is NT Workstation an OS that requires this step?
3) I have a C:\ partition of 3.41 GB on a 12 GB drive. Anything I install will typically install to C:\Program files\name. How do I expand the partition to the full 12 GB to avoid future problems.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
kenRich05 said:
1) “Seconds until highlighted choice will start automatically” default is 28. How can I shorten that?
I assume it is the same as Windows 2000 and XP. Been way too long since I installed NT 4.0. Edit the timeout value in the boot.ini file. It should be located in c:\

I could probably answer the other questions for you if I had a Windows NT box setup but it has been 5 years since I did that. So hopefully someone will come along who remembers all that stuff. I don't want to get you started on the wrong path.

kenRich05

Editing the boot.ini file worked! I go back to DOS 5.0, but have never installed NT before.

I have been experimenting with the partition thing using Disk Administrator. I can create a new partition for the remainder of the area, rename C:\ to F:\. Then Renamed my new empty partition to C:\ . I then installed a couple of games and it installed correctly, leaving some files in F:\ and creating a C:\Program Files\name directory and leaving files there. It actually works. Is there another way or is this the best I can do?

You really didn’t have to change the partition lettering, just redirect the installation to the appropriate partition. But if it works and you’re not having any problems, just leave it.

kenRich05

You are right. But since I am not doing all of the installs and the machines are owned and run by the preschool personnel, it seemed prudent to make that change.

Anyone have suggestions on how to eliminate the password requirement in NT Workstation 4.0?

control userpasswords2 I'm not sure if it works in NT workstations because I haven't tried it there before but give it a shot.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online