1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NT4 vs Windows 2000 Server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by seafoods, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seafoods

seafoods Thread Starter

I'm a newbie in Microsoft products. I would like your opinion which OS variant is better.. NT4 or Windows 2000 Server... My current application uses NT4 but since Windows 2000 Server is built with NT4 Technology I tried changing to Windows 2000 Server.

Some of our servers are PII and P3. Which will be better NT4 or Windows 2000 Server. I'm also planning to upgrade the memory since the current configuration for the PII and P3's are only 256MB SDRAM. Will it improve the performance if I give it more memory by boosting it from 256MB to 512MB?

2. stod73

stod73

What kind of server are we talking about (print, file, PDC, etc)? If it's going to be an appllication server what kind of applications will be running on it?

Generally win2k is better that nt4. Win2k is easier to install but does require more resources to run. Don't forget all the fun licesning loops you get to jump through (they're different on NT4 then Win2k).

Perhaps you like to try Linux....

3. seafoods

seafoods Thread Starter

The Servers are running VOIP programs.. Clarent Gateways to be exact. The current Window OS used for this is NT4.. I have upgraded partial of our VOIP Gateways to Windows 2000 Server but it seems that during start-ups it is very slow.. I am thinking of adding memory to it.. from 256MB to 512MB? Will it help since the processor are PII and P3 only..

4. stod73

stod73

My compnay is just getting into VOIP (in fact I'm going to a seminar tomorrow) and I don't now enough about the software.

Here are the requirements for Server2000:
    Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU.
    Memory At least 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM. 256 MB recommended. 4 gigabytes (GB) maximum.
    Hard Disk 2 GB with 1 GB free space. Additional free hard disk space is required if you are installing over a network.
    CPU Support Windows 2000 Server supports up to four CPUs on one machine.
    Drive CD-ROM or DVD drive.
    Display VGA or higher resolution monitor.
    Keyboard Required.

Since M$ is asking for 128mb I would say 512mb will do....

5. seafoods

seafoods Thread Starter

I will be acquiring a 512MB memory today and will be upgrading one of the VOIP Gateways.. Hopefully I can see the results later.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice