1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NT4, XP Pro, Win 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by swirg53, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swirg53

swirg53 Thread Starter

Someone will probably tell me what I have is a mess! They would be right!

Two problems currently but let me tell you first what I have in my network.

I have had an NT4 server on a domain with several boxes hooked up to it. Four are running WIN98 and two are running WIN XP Pro. (This makes 7 computers.)

I have now purchased a WIN 2003 server which I also wish to run on a domain. I have added one more new (Dell) PC running XP Pro, plus an "older" rebuilt PC running XP Pro. (This makes 3 more computers.)

Eventually, I am going to "retire" the NT4 server and put all of the other computers onto the new server's new domain. Right now all TEN computers are going through either the wireless router or the 8 port switch. I am on the Internet with all of them, except for the old NT4 server--I have never been able to get it on the internet......I am not at work writing this so I can't tell you what service pack it's on, but it certainly is NOT current and up to date.

Problem #1: I need the new Dell for the time being to connect to the "old" domain. When I try to change it to a domain, it keeps giving me an error message, something like this: The domain name XXXXX might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS. If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

Any suggestions?

Problem #2: I would like to put the new server on a different domain, but it won't let me "add" a domain...that is, type a new one in and accept it. This is WIN 2003 Server OS. How can I get it to let me create a new domain for that new server?

Another Question: Can both servers reside happily on the same "topology" (don't know if that is the correct word, but I need to be on the internet so I need it to all go through that router, etc. all on the same wired network....so to speak.), in different domains?

I am converting from one point of sale software to another one and while setting up the new one, we still have to conduct business through the old network/domain/server. So, that's why I need both domains/servers running at the same time.

I hope this all makes sense! Thanks for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice