1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"NTAUTHORITY" frequently shutting the system down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

What circumstances trigger an NTAUTHORITY shutdown?

Here are the details of the specific system that brought me here with this question:

This is a Dell Dimension 2400 with Pentium 4 processor, 512 RAM and Windows XP Pro.

The system was infested badly with malware to the point it was totally non-functional. It would also frequently give 'NTAUTHORITY is shutting the system down' and shut down after a 60-second count-down.

I formatted, reinstalled XP Pro, installed only known-safe applications (MSOffice03, SuperAntispy, Malwarebytes, Nero Burning ROM 7, ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Acrobat Reader and a few other known-safe programs). It ran fine for several hours as I installed these programs. Upon setting up the HP Officejet 2710 AIO, it started the NTAUTHORITY shutdowns again. It did it only twice while attempting to install the printer. The printer installed correctly after the third try.

2. helpful

helpful

NTAUTHORITY shutdown message is usually caused by abnormal termination of a critical process or service.

Malware in the past was a common cause, for instance the Microsoft Sasser worm variants caused frequent shutdowns by terminating the lsass.exe process causing the shutdown screen to appear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post your hijack this log.

1. Download HijackThis from the following download location:

HijackThis Download Link ---> Save HJTInstall.exe to the desktop

2. Double-click on this icon to start the installation process. Do not change any settings on this screen. Simply click once on the Install button

3. After HijackThis is installed, it will automatically start. Select the Do a system scan and save a log file button

4. Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked.

5. click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.

Do NOT fix anything.

3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the reply; but, I think the HijackThis log is a waste of time. After this problem presented with the newly-installed OS, I zeroed the drive with Darik's Boot and Nuke. I again installed the OS and the afore-mentioned programs and got the same problem again when attempting to install the newly-downloaded drivers.

My question relates to a known-clean system. What I am attempting to understand is what NTAUTHORITY is, how it operates and what triggers it on a known-clean system.

4. helpful

helpful

NTAUTHORITY is a special builtin non interactive user account. This account has full administrative privileges and is used to mainly for services.

An abnormal termination of a service would trigger the services failure actions, you would receive that shutdown message if a service started under NTAUTHORITY user credentials had the failure action of restart the computer.

5. Alex Ethridge

Obviously, then, I am left thinking something about installing that printer's drivers was triggering something.

Thanks for the reply. I really had almost no idea at all what it was and this helps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice