1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ntdlr is missing... with a twist... and I don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DANFU, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANFU

DANFU Thread Starter

Hey guys... trust me... I searched around this forum and googled for hours and tried alot that was presented to me and I don't know what to do...

I'll walk you through step by step the actions that I have taken and none of them worked thusfar.

1. I tried to use the Windows recovery disc. First, I went into BIOS and made my CD drive the first to boot. However, even though I made the Harddrive secondary I did not uncheck it as the secondary option. After doing so, I placed the windows operating system disc into the disc drive and it either:

A: attempted to work... I could hear the drive trying to run the cd... but after about 10 seconds it came up with the same 'ntdlr is missing altctrldel to restart error' or it stated press f1 to retry or f2 to go back to setup... if f1 was struck... it wouldn't attempt anything... it would just prompt me to do the same f1 to retry or f2 to setup...

B: I downloaded a file 'fixntdlr' provided by a member of your website in another thread... I followed the instructions as given... I placed the disc in the drive... shut down the computer and restarted with the computer booting from the disc... the screen stayed blank for a moment to no avail... 'ntdlr is missing' error reappeared...

C: This computer does not have a floppy drive... So anything involving floppy does not work for me

D: The USB option looked extensive... if anyone can walk me through that... that would be great... but I'm not really sure how to boot to the USB Drive in BIOS...

I AM NOT SURE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE DISC DRIVES... I'M NOT SURE IF THIS PROBLEM IS MORE EXTENSIVE OR THE DRIVES THEMSELVES DO NOT WORK.

I want to also add (from the BIOS) the options for DRIVE CONFIGURATION
    HARD-DISK DRIVE SEQUENCE
    AND
    BOOT SEQUENCE
    and how they read for me... maybe something is incorrect within them

DRIVE CONFIG READS
    DISKETTE DRIVE A: NOT INSTALLED
    SATA PRIMARY DRIVE: OFF
    SATA SECONDARY DRIVE: OFF
    PRIMARY MASTER DRIVE: HARD DRIVE
    PRIMARY SLAVE DRIVE: OFF
    SECONDARY MASTER DRIVE: CD-ROM DEVICE
    SECONDARY SLAVE DRIVE: CD- ROM DEVICE
    IDE DRIVE UDMA ON

HARD DISK DRIVE SEQUENCE
    SYSTEM BIOS BOOT DEVICES
    USB DRIVE (NOT INSTALLED)

BOOT SEQUENCE
    (CHECK) IDE CD ROM DEVICE
    (CHECK) HARD-DISK DRIVE C:

FAST BOOT: ON
    OS INSTALL MODE: OFF
    IDE HARD DRIVE ACCOUSTIC MODE: BYPASS

If anyone has any ideas of anything else that I can try... Please let me know... THANK YOU SO MUCH...

2. DANFU

DANFU Thread Starter

One more thing I forgot to mention... It totally slipped my mind.
    The owner of the computer removed and replaced the CMOS battery.
    If not replaced properly: I'm guessing it would cause this error?
    Possibly the wrong battery was inserted or the new battery was dead as well?

3. DANFU

DANFU Thread Starter

And lastly.
    I ran the diagnostic check from the Utility Partition.

It gives me the error code 0f00:133d.. IDE device failed incompatible CD for testing
    In the Symptom tree... the The cd/dvd test fails every time...

However, I ran a test on the Hard Drive in the Symptom tree and it showed no problems with the hard drive OR the OS boot up...

I have no idea whats going on...

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!