1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"NTDLR is missing".

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cells, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cells

cells Thread Starter

Okay so my computer recently got a virus which made it hard to navigate on so I proceeded to the recovery cd. I was going to perform a system restore and I clicked it in the menu, but when the computer restarts it gives me the message "NTLDR is missing".
    Can someone help me please.
    By the way it's an XP.

2. valis

valis Moderator

here ya go....used this a few dozen times, always seems to solve the issue.

3. cells

cells Thread Starter

Hm, it seems the "NTLDR is missing" message only comes up when I try system restore.
    I can start it up normally and get to the desktop and everything but I want to perform a system restore and it doesn't let me.

and I've been to that site and got to the part where I put the file on the USB drive but I get confused after that.
    A step by step would be very helpful.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

How are you restoring? Do you have a recovery partition on the drive, a full XP CD, or recovery CD set?

5. cells

cells Thread Starter

I use just one CD. A full XP CD I'm guessing?
    But I believe I also have a recovery partition on the drive.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the CD one that came with the machine? If you have a recovery partition, the CD's that come with the machine are typically recovery CD's. A full, standard version of XP cannot be used in that case to repair a machine with XP installed in that way. In fact, the serial number won't work and the MBR would get destroyed so that the recovery partition is no longer available.

So, is it an original CD, do you have the product key for that edition, and what make/model of machine?

7. cells

cells Thread Starter

Actually I'm not too sure, it's a burned CD, I bought this computer from a friend a while back and it's just a cd-r disk with recovery written on it that I use for system restores.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

So you have used this disk in the past?

Do you have a floppy drive? It sounds like the CD may be damaged and the drive can't read it. If ntldr is the only problem, putting a floppy in the drive with a copy of ntldr on it may allow you to boot with the CD.

If you do have a recovery partition, you should be able to do a restore without the CD. Are there special keypresses you use to start it?

9. cells

cells Thread Starter

yes, F10 at startup?
    and how would I get the ntldr files on a floppy?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. So why do you need the CD? F10 should start the recovery process for you by itself.

You can make a floppy with the needed startup files with this:

FixNTLDR Boot Disk Image

11. cells

cells Thread Starter

This laptop doesn't have a place to insert floppy disks, so I can't get that file onto it.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

What happens if you just use F10 with no CD in the machine?

13. cells

cells Thread Starter

If I hit F10 with no CD it goes straight to the error message.
    If I use the CD it gets to the recovery menu then when I hit the start system recovery button and it re-boots to try and start the recovery then gets the same message.
    But when no disk is in it I can get to the desktop.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

What has been done to the partitions on the machine, if anything?

Have any partitioning tools ever been used, or have you ever installed any other OS on that hard drive?

Try scanning the CD with IsoBuster or a similar tool to be sure that the CD is completely readable.

Another way to test the CD is to create a folder on your desktop and try to copy the entire contents of the CD into the folder. You will get a message if a file is not readable.

15. cells

cells Thread Starter

No, and no.

I think I'll try your second suggestion, with the folders, just one question,
    if I enter the CD while this computer is running will it restart or anything?
    This is my dad's computer and I don't want to mess anything up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!