NTDLR problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

manish_42

Whenever I try to boot up my computer, it says "NTDLR is missing." It just started doing this this morning, and it's been working fine. What might be the problem?

Actually, it's spelled "NTLDR", not "NTDLR".

The message means what it says, although chances are it's not really missing (grin).

NTLDR is the file which loads NT (or Win2000 or XP). It needs to be on the root of the partition pointed to by the boot.ini file.

Easiest way to deal with it is to boot from the OS installation CD and choose "Repair an existing installation."

manish_42

Ok, I'm trying to repair my Windows XP installation now, but what do I do when it brings up the blank console window?

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Enter in the administrator password when requested
Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive.
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
Take out the CD ROM and type exit

manish_42

Ok, I tried what you said, only it doesn't prompt me for a number, or an administrator password once I got into the Windows repair screen. What does this mean?

Also, I can't say I'm sure which letters are assigned to which drives... I even think that perhaps C is assigned to my other hard drive, used for storage, but again im not sure. If I had to guess, I would say that my disk drive is labeled D and my boot drive is labeled E, with my storage drive labeled as C. Is this possible? Anyway, I tried doing a repair from the windows cd, and I tried copying the file from D, which seemed to work, as it said "1 file copied" afterward. I copied it from D to C as well as D to E, figuring it wouldn't do any damage to copy it to both hard drives. However, now it doesn't even give me the "NTLDR is missing" error, and simply restarts on its own! Did I mess something up further? Also, is there some way to check which letters are assigned to which drives?

Without knowing how your system is configured, it is hard to say with absolute certainty which drive is which. But the most common is for C: to be the boot drive.

But it could also mean you simply have more problems than you initially thought.

From the same prompt, you might try running FIXBOOT

If that doesn't work, you might try a repair install.
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#repair

Did you try booting from the floppy prepared by the above program? As AGCurry said, ntldr being really missing is a very remote possibility. Chances are the error is with other startup files if not with the file system itself.

Try booting from that floppy.

manish_42

I tried he first link you gave me, and used the program to create a boot disk. I clicked on Windows XP Pro when it asked me which operating system I wanted to boot, and I got the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

How can I re-install that particular dll? Also, I didn't fully understand what`you wanted me to do with that second link.

So did the fixboot or repair install not work. Or was it just those floppy disk utilities that didn't work.

manish_42 said:
I tried he first link you gave me, and used the program to create a boot disk. I clicked on Windows XP Pro when it asked me which operating system I wanted to boot, and I got the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

How can I re-install that particular dll? Also, I didn't fully understand what`you wanted me to do with that second link.
If you mean this link:
http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/BootIniEdit.exe
then download the program, run it to create a floppy, boot from the floppy, and follow the prompts. You will see your boot.ini file contents. Post it here exactly as it is written if you can't tell if it is OK.

(The hal.dll problem is not really because it is missing. That message is a symptom of other boot problems.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts