1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTFS-3G corrupted NTFS drive. Files missing but "disk usage" correct

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by innus, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innus

innus Thread Starter

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on this one.

I was messing around on a Mac in OSX, and moved my NTFS formatted (in windows) drive into the Mac to access my music.

I used NTFS-3G for OSX in order to mount the drive as readable AND writable, and everything was fine. Drive worked, everything accessible, all good.

I booted up the Mac this morning, and to my horror, everything on the music drive (except some Mac directories starting with '.' was gone. Scary feeling..

The drive usage (98% used, 3GB free, or somewhere around there) is still shown correctly though, so I have some hope of recovering the data. The drive is back in the windows machine now, and it's still the same, nothing miraculously re-appeared.

I know not to write anything to the drive until the data is recovered.

I have a backup, but it's from August so I've lost quite a bit of music that I bought online, as well as some other stuff that was on that drive.

Any ideas on recovering the data, bearing in mind that the disk usage appears to be correct? As far as I can tell, a bug in NTFS-3G has written the allocation table (or whatever it is in NTFS) incorrectly, effectively hiding the data from view, but no disk-wiping operations have occured so it should still be there,.. somewhere..

I know there are disk recovery utils out there, but I've no idea which ones will help, and which ones might make the situation worse.

Many thanks in advance

Ian

2. innus

innus Thread Starter

Essentially what I'm looking for, if such a thing exists, is a way to recover the allocation table rather than the files themselves (which are hopefully still intact).

Cheers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice