1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTFS cannot mount.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by threepixel, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threepixel

threepixel Thread Starter

Hi, Before I start out I am dual booting OSx86 and Windows 7 on my computer. I have working access to OSx86 right now.

My problem is that I cannot mount my NTFS partition. I need to get my Quicken data off the drive so I can wipe it clean and start over.

If I open up Terminal and type "diskutil list" It will output that there is a Windows_NTFS partition on my drive but it will not mount. I have tried to chkdsk off my windows install CD but it says that it cannot find the partition. When it asks me which partition I want to work on it just comes up blank. The weird thing was that the partition was mountable a week ago then one time it just stopped. I know that it is not hardware failure because I am booting OSx86 off the same physical HDD. I was getting a error message a few days ago but now all that loads is a blinking underscore.

I have Google'd for hours and cannot seem to find anything that will work. I am desperate to get those files. My Quicken backups are too old to be useful.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You might have more luck if you slave it to another Windows system and run Checkdisk from within that system's GUI, with both boxes ticked to find and fix errors. If at first it doesn't show in Windows Explorer, it may still be in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice