1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTFS Cluster size question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D-Rock, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. D-Rock

D-Rock Thread Starter

Hello guys, I have been reading up on cluster size and how it impacts performance on an NTFS partion. From what I understand, the default cluster size in windows XP is 4kb. I know that increasing the cluster size will improve performance but it will waste space. My question is what cluster size would be optimal for a strictly gaming PC? I am willing to bet that the data files that a game uses are larger than 4kb. I am thinking of raising the cluster size to 64kb.

Is this reasonable?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I don't know if its reasonable or not, doesn't seem like it. That's not where performance counts for a game though. Its memory, graphics and cpu interaction that really counts. I don't care if it takes .065 (blue sky estimation) seconds longer to load.

3. D-Rock

D-Rock Thread Starter

Yeah I know, but what kind of computer enthusiast are you if your not always looking for that little bit more. Ya know? :D

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

That's true, I just happen to be a minimalist I guess with a desire for the biggest bang for the money. Going from an AMD +3200 939 to an Intel QC 6600 exites me. For something that may only be detectable with a benchmark while giving up on some other efficiency or performance factor...not so much, cuz there just ain't no braggin' rights there at all.

What I see in the future, because the read speeds are potentially fantastic, and write speeds are much less important, are lightening fast solid state read access hard drives just for gaming. Now that would rock!!

5. D-Rock

D-Rock Thread Starter

SSD's are already here. You can buy em on newegg.

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I know but I'm not sure they have the speed that makes one sit up and say "holy sodbuster!" yet (is a Raptor faster even with access lag?) and I'd wait for the economy of scale to catch up before making the plunge personally.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!