NTFS, FAT32 PC and Mac HDD sharing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BoyDetective

I have just installed this hard drive and enclosure succesfully. Runs great. I did it as NTFS because that was the default.

Seagate / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive

tigerdirect link
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...=0&NoMapp=0

it is inside this enclosure
Ultra 3.5" Mini Portable USB 2.0 / Firewire External Hard Drive Enclosure

tigerdirect link
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...asp?EdpNo=31389

My question is, besides running a home network, how can I share this drive between a PC and a Mac? Is this even possible. Should the drive be FAT32 instead?

The Mac sees the drive and can get info off of it, but cannot save data to it. I shut down the drive and plug the firewire into the Mac first, of course.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

MODS, sorry this should be in the peripheral forum maybe? Sorry bout that, first time here! Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yes, you should format the external drive FAT32 if you want to share data between Windows and a Mac.

BoyDetective

JohnWill said:
Yes, you should format the external drive FAT32 if you want to share data between Windows and a Mac.
Great! Seems simple enough. All I have to do is drag and drop my data back onto my computer, reformat the drive as FAT32 in disk management, and then drag the files back onto it. I've located a chart citing the differences between the two.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

This drive is 250gb, so I realize I may be comprimising some performance on it, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little in order to have both computers access the drive. THat was the whole point of getting it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, you're going to run across another problem with a 250gig drive. :) 2K/XP only allows you to format a 32gig FAT32 partition, even though it can access a FAT32 partition of any size. I normally use Partition Magic to format if I need FAT32 volumes larger than 32gig.

I personally use the free and widely available fdisk and format technique :) any boot disk with these 2 that has large disk capacity should work fine.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Stumped, it's a USB disk. :)

Another reason for using something else is FDISK and FORMAT is that it takes AGES to do a 250gig drive with it! :D

BoyDetective

JohnWill said:
Stumped, it's a USB disk. :)

Another reason for using something else is FDISK and FORMAT is that it takes AGES to do a 250gig drive with it! :D
It's firewire, but the point still stands.

I've got Partition Magic, and it seems easy enough, but I'm still not sure on a few things. It's asking if I want a primary or logical drive. The default it recommends is logical.

I know FAT32 runs better on smaller volumes. Is 32gb a cut off point of sorts, where NTFS starts to perform better once you go higher than 32gb? If XP won't make a partition bigger than that on FAT32, will Partition Magic just override that? Would it be more advantageous to do two 32gb FAT32 partitions?

Around 60gb should be fine for the Mac.

Should I do two FAT32 partitions, each 32gb, and one larger, (much larger) single NTFS partition?

Or just have a two partition drive, one a very large NTFS, and the other a 60gb FAT32. Which one should be primary? Logical?

The drive is going to be used by my PC mostly.

Thanks! You guys have been great1

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I make all my external disks logical drives, there's really no reason to make it a primary partition. You can put all the logical drives you like in a logical partition.

PM will make FAT32 volumes of any size. For data disks, I prefer a single volume of the maximum size, so I'd make a 60gig FAT32 volume, then use the rest for the NTFS volume if that's what works for you.

Johnwill I didn't note that but I hope you do know that you know you can hack a Windows 98 boot disk to boot to USB? Actually its very easy to do and has helped in the rare occassion I have a failed CD rom and the computer does not boot forom USB.

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

I'll read more carefully next time :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Stumped, I know that you can get MS-DOS boot disks to sometimes recognize USB devices, but it's a hit-or-miss situation. At one time I did tinker around with that when I was having problems with GHOST recognizing USB drives on several systems. However, I discovered Acronis True Image, and those problems vanished, and I never did pursue the MS-DOS USB issue any farther. :)

BoyDetective

JohnWill said:
I make all my external disks logical drives, there's really no reason to make it a primary partition. You can put all the logical drives you like in a logical partition.

PM will make FAT32 volumes of any size. For data disks, I prefer a single volume of the maximum size, so I'd make a 60gig FAT32 volume, then use the rest for the NTFS volume if that's what works for you.
This is the result I get from trying to add another partition, 80gig, FAT32.

http://www.justinworks.com/UltraDriveBefore.JPG

It failed! It said there were errors, and it corrected them, but still, the new partition didn't show up? All it did was add another asterisk as "unallocated" Ultra Drive is the external drive, "F"

What did I do wrong?

We've both come to a compromise. I'm just going to get the whole drive to myself and my girlfriend a.k.a the MAC, will get her own.

Attempting to format the whole thing.....

JohnWill,

Does Seagate not have installation/setup utilities that work in Windows? If you move everything so that you do not lose it, you then can partition and format in a very few minutes.

If SeaTools is not Windows based setup utility but is diag only then try using one that works with your internal drive. I know MaxBlast 4 (Windows based) will work on any other drive on the machine as long as it can find a Maxtor drive. (Plenty of disclaimers but it works. Most all the different setup utilities are developed and written by OnTrack.)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suggest you start over, remove all the logical drives from the external disk. You created one logical drive, and it consumes the entire disk, which is not what you want.

When you create a logical drive, you must specifiy the size, and I'd put the FAT32 logical drive first.

Try this:

- Remove all logical drives.
- Create a 60gig FAT32 logical drive
- Create an NTFS logical drive to use the rest of available space
- Apply changes

BoyDetective

JohnWill said:
I suggest you start over, remove all the logical drives from the external disk. You created one logical drive, and it consumes the entire disk, which is not what you want.

When you create a logical drive, you must specifiy the size, and I'd put the FAT32 logical drive first.

Try this:

- Remove all logical drives.
- Create a 60gig FAT32 logical drive
- Create an NTFS logical drive to use the rest of available space
- Apply changes
I did specify the size. Also, it says I have a full drive available, but I don't understand how this is possible because all the files are still there!

I will try this suggestion when I get home from work later on. thanks

I hope at least some others are learning through this thread.

Also, Norton GoBack caused some problems with that first attempt to do the FAT32 partition, not sure if you've heard anything with that problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online