1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTFS of FAT32 for a gamer/graphics heavy Win XP user.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stiltzkin, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I'm about to format and partition a couple drives for Win XP. I am a major gamer, among many other things, including a lot of graphics heavy stuff. I've heard that NTFS is better than FAT32 in every way EXCEPT for games (some games won't even work on in NTFS space). So, if anyone can confirm that, than I'll use FAT32 (even though NTFS has so many other advantages). Second question is, if I do format with FAT32 for gaming purposes, can I just have a partition or two that I install games on that are FAT32, or would the OS partition also have to be FAT32 in order to avoid all risk of game malfunction? For all other purposes, can anyone confirm that NTFS is better (other various apps, data, swap space, etc.)? Thanks for any help. I've seen conflicting opinions everywhere thus far, and would appreciate some hard facts.

2. marcus77

marcus77

I have not heard anything about how NTFS effects games, so I can't reply on that one.

During installation, unless you can specify how much of the drive you want formatted to what type of file storage type (FAT32 or NTFS), then just format the entire drive to FAT32. After the installation, you should be able to partition the drive with the Admin. Tools, so that you can have part of the drive FAT32, and the other NTFS. This should keep the program files (along with your game files) on the FAT32 partition.

I have 2 drives, one with FAT32, one with NTFS on my computer. I prefer saving files on the NTFS because it's file structure is superior to FAT32. The only drawback is that files written to a NTFS drive cannot be viewed by a WIN9x, ME, or lower OS.

3. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I have no problem not being able to have a win 9x/ME machine view my files, so NTFS is perfect for me unless someone can substantiate what I've heard about games.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice