1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ntfs partition is unknown by disk manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by azaveri, May 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azaveri

azaveri Thread Starter

The computer[nt4.0 server with service pack 6a] was running fine with two physical hardisk both running on ntfs. Later when I installed the the modem i just couldnot install it. The modem was not detected and the system just stoped booting also. I installed a fresh nt 4.0 on the same primary hardisk formating it as fat. Instalation is sucessful. But the operating system cannot access the secondary hardisk which is ntfs. The disk manager shows the disk but says "partition unknow" although it is ntfs. When i open the file manager and try to access the secondary hard drive it says "drive is not readable. disk structure is curupt and unreadable".When I right click on the drive and i hit properties i do not see the sercurity tab. Since I have reinstalled the operating system the service pack right now is service pack 1.
    I want to recover data from the secondary hardisk which I can not access please help.

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

Did you overwrite your original install? If not, you may be able to repair it. I would try to convert the current partition to NTFS, but that may not help. Partitions created by disk administrator can be difficult for another OS (other than the one that created it) to work with. You may be able to save the data using ghost to take a picture of the second partition, then wipe it out and re-create it and use ghost to replace the original data. That may work. Hope it helps.

3. angel

angel

Since no one has yet to respond, I will throw something out there.

First of all, I am not very familiar with NT but I think your second HD was formatted NTFSv5 which means you must be on at least SP4 to read it.

[looks like rawmeat did get a post in before mine...]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!