1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTFS vs EXT3/4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crcook84, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

I recently had the unfortunate circumstance of my power supply failing on me. Fortunately, the warranty is still good. So, that takes care of that. My problem lies with my hard drives. Right after I lost my power supply, I was looking through my hard drives via USB trying to find a file when I discovered that the partition was corrupted. (This may not be correct information. For all I know, it could be the partition, the MBR, the VBR, or something else. Bottom line, there was a partition with data on it and the partition is being read as corrupt in Windows and Ubuntu.) I have started the process of looking into proper partition recovery software that can work for me and I've found one that works good enough. So, that solves that problem. But, I have another one that I've been thinking of. Between NTFS and EXT3/4, which one is considered more reliable?

Now, I'll admit that I might be blowing this a little out of proportion because I haven't had a corrupt hard drive in several years. The last time it happened, I was working with a motherboard that had limits (LBA, for example). I didn't know this until it was too late and, thinking the data was gone, wrote over the hard drive. I had then bought some cards with built-in BIOS to handle some of my bigger hard drives until I was able to afford a more modern computer. That has eliminated a lot of questions as to why this happened and I am left with two: Was this just a fluke that was triggered by the power supply going out and I shouldn't make a big deal out of it? Are there more reliable file systems out there as compared with NTFS?

Now, I don't expect an answer for the former question. I doubt it would be easy to find an answer without more information anyways (besides, the partition recovery program is working nicely). But, I am interested in knowing if there are file systems more reliable than NTFS.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Athough windows 7 is more stable as far as system crashes go,
    the hard drive can still be corrupted due to power loss.
    NTFS is the most stable file system for windows at this time.
    Windows cannot natively read EXT and other linux/unix file systems.
    EXT files systems have been the most stable for linux,in my opinion.
    There are other linux file systems,but have been a bit buggy in
    my exprerience with them.
    Linux can read windows partitions but needs the proper tools installed
    to write to them.

3. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

That's what I figured. File systems have improved to the point that any difference between them is marginal and really depends on the use. I'm not too concerned with compatibility issues, though. I use third-party freeware most of the time anyways. So, I'm sure someone has created a program or something to read EXT in Windows.

You mentioned that a hard drive can be corrupted due to power loss. That would definitely explain a lot about what happened to me. Just to clarify that statement, other than backing up the data to another hard drive, there is no protection against data loss because of power loss?

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

There's always a ups...

(uninterruptible power supply)

5. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice