1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTFS vs. FAT32

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jploch54, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jploch54

jploch54 Thread Starter

We have a four pc network, connected with a Belkin router. My son, daughter, and I all have desktops running Win 98 or SE with a FAT32 format. My wife has a notebook running Win XP Home, also with FAT 32. I'm thinking about upgrading to Win XP Home, but formatting in NTFS. Will I lose my ability to access each other's machines and vice versa? Or should I stay with FAT 32 if I upgrade?

2. Cookies

Cookies

NTFS has many advantages; but might not be appropriate in all circumstances. Disadvantages of NTFS:

NTFS volumes are not accessible from MS-DOS, Windows 95, or Windows 98. Think of it as a 1998 Camaro trying to see a 2004 GTO. NTFS can see fat; but not visa versa.

Would a dual boot Windows 98x with a FAT partition, and XP with an NTFS be a better option?

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Actually, for what you are doing, you'll be fine.

I have 98 machines networked with XP computers and they can all share files....one even has an NTFS format :D

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

in a network, xp handles that, it really uses the network filesystem so any kind of computer can have read/write support as long as it supports the network filesystem. but if you are trying to view an ntfs volume from the same computer than you will need the drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice