1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTKERN error at start up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jfk3000, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfk3000

jfk3000 Thread Starter

When I turn on my PC it stops on a black screen with the message NTKERN error. I hit any key to carry on and it goes into safemode, from there if I restart, it starts up ok...help !

It doesn't do it every time and it doesn't do it on a restart only from a complete closedown

I am running W98 and can't remember what was the last installation etc before this happened.

Hope somebody can help

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Most of the ntkern / windows protection errors that I've seen have come down to faulty ram.

If you have more than one module installed you might want to just run with one at a time.

You can also use a software tester, DocMemory, but a "pass" does not always rule out faults. Fails, though would definitely point to a problem.

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

Have it run two or three loops at least.

4. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Could also be defective random access memory (RAM) in your computer.

Try using the System Configuration tool to limit the amount of random access memory (RAM) available to Windows. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Restart Windows in Safe mode. To do so, restart your computer, press and hold the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Safe Mode.

2. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.

3. On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.

4. On the General tab, click Advanced.

5. Click the Limit Memory To <n> MB check box (where <n> is a number) to select it, and then set the memory limit value to xxx MB. Where xxx MB is one less than the actual amount you have installed. Example: If you have 256 MB set it to 255 MB

6. Click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer.

If that don't work try lowering it more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice