1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ntkrnlmp.exe BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by frankwhopon, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frankwhopon

frankwhopon Thread Starter

Alright, I'm back with my brother's computer. It has been experiencing BSODs recently (past 5 days or so).

Here is the system info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3032 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1292 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 223434 MB, Free - 121875 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0G848F
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

The BSOD usually occurs shortly after turning on the computer; if it doesn't crash right away than it runs very sluggishly for a while. I have already booted into safe mode several times to retrieve the minidumps and it runs fine in safe mode.

When I ran the recent minidumps through WinDbg the problem always comes up as ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!output_l+31b ).
    I have included all the minidumps, both the recent ones and ones from years past.

The laptop has also been experiencing a problem with the display, it will appear dim or partially blacked out while the computer is booting.

Edit
    This really is fairly urgent since the laptop is unusable while it is in this condition.

Attached Files:

2. frankwhopon

I don't mean to be impatient, but it would be nice to get some direction on this one.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

frank :

Please provide the model & model # of this Dell laptop.

When did this begin?
    What happens if you boot the laptop to safe mode?
    1. Any video issues, as you noted, during the boot?

2. Any BSOD?

Any video issues if the computer runs for > 2 hours?
    Sleep, hibernation, & monitor off need to be disabled in "control panel > "power options" > change power profile settings > change advanced power profile settings

Take meticulous notes & create a system restore point before making any changes.

As a general troubleshooting step, begin to copy all of the important data to flash drives and optical disks.

When did the computer last work well? When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important.

What changed; a hardware or software installation or removal; an update to W7 [ check your W7 update history ] or update to your anti malware or other antimalware program / programs ]; an update to Java or an Adobe program for example?

My primary candidates:
    Video chip, laptop's motherboard
    Monitor
    Video Driver

Please post the log generated by Driver View
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html]

DriverView - Free - utility displays the list of all device drivers currently loaded on your system.
    For each driver in the list, additional useful information is displayed: load address of the driver,
    description, version, product name, company that created the driver, and more.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

For Drivers check System Maker as fallbacks and Device Maker's which are the most current.
    Control Panel - Device Manager - Display Adapter - write down the make and complete model
    of your video adapter - double click - Driver's tab - write down the version info. Now click UPdate
    Driver (this may not do anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers) - then Right Click -
    Uninstall - REBOOT this will refresh the driver stack.

Repeat that for Network - Network Card (NIC), Wifi, Sound, Mouse and Keyboard if 3rd party
    with their own software and drivers and any other major device drivers you have.

Now go to System Maker's site (Dell, HP, Toshiba as examples) (as rollback) and then Device
    Maker's site (Realtek, Intel, Nvidia, ATI as examples) and get their latest versions. (Look for
    BIOS, Chipset and software updates at System Maker's site while there.)

Download - SAVE - go to where you put them - Right Click - RUN AD ADMIN - REBOOT after
    each installation.

Always check in Device Manager - Drivers tab to be sure the version you are installing actually
    shows up. This is because some drivers rollback before the latest is installed (sound drivers
    particularly do this) so install a driver - reboot - check to be sure it is installed and repeat as
    needed.

Repeat at Device Makers - BTW at Device Makers DO NOT RUN THEIR SCANNER - check
    manually by model.

Manually look at manufacturer's sites for drivers - and Device Maker's sites.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/driverdlmfgr.htm

Installing and updating drivers in 7 (updating drivers manually using the methods above is preferred
    to ensure the latest drivers from System maker and Device makers are found)
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/43216-installing-updating-drivers-7-a.html

If you update drivers manually then it is a good idea to disable Driver Installations in Windows
    Updates, this leaves Windows Updates ON however it will not install drivers which will usually
    be older and cause issues. If Updates suggests a new driver then HIDE it (Right Click on it)
    and then go look for new ones manually if you wish.

Stop Windows 7 from Automatically Installing Device Drivers
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/stop-windows-7-from-automatically-installing-device-drivers/

How To Disable Automatic Driver Installation In Windows 7 / Vista
    http://www.addictivetips.com/window...tomatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/

Disable Windows Update Device Driver Search Prompt In Windows 7 / Vista (for Professional,
    Ultimate, and Enterprise)
    http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-windows-update-device-driver-search-prompt/

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...24?msgId=c35972b8-3d43-4287-916f-d768d59c2ce8

RF123

4. frankwhopon

Hey RF123, thanks for the reply.

It is a Dell Inspiron 1545, model number PP41L. The problem with the screen began at least a month ago, maybe closer to a month and a week.

Before when I booted into safe mode there are no major video problems. The screen is grey rather than black right before the boot options menu, but this may not be a problem.

I have let the laptop sit in safe mode for several hours and nothing happened, there was no BSOD and I saw no video problems.

We have already backed up important files. I believe the first BSOD occurred on the 23rd of January.
    I didn't see any updates that took place recently.

I updated the following drivers:
    Mobile Intel(R ) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

I couldnÂ’t find an updated driver for my keyboard. I tried to update the audio driver but it said that there was no compatible hardware.

After I updated those drivers I restarted and went into normal mode, after a couple of minutes the system crashed and gave me the same BSOD. The system automatically restarted and I put it in safe mode. The system then crashed from safe mode and gave me a different BSOD, probable cause "cng.sys".

I attached two logs from driverview, one form before I made the updates and one after I made them.

Attached Files:

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

frank :
    Thanks.

I will finish my analyzis of the mini dumps & view the driver view files you supplied, per my request.

Because the problem did not occur in safe mode, it is probably not a monitor or graphics chip [ motherboard ] issue.

Before you start clean boot troubleshooting, please go to Dell's support site for the laptop.
    Download the latest graphics / video driver & chipset driver.

Do not install them, just yet.

Also, download Driver Sweeper from http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Do not install it, at this time.

Welcome to the world of clean boot troubleshooting.
    Here are 2 articles, & my method.

The most important aspect of troubleshooting is to be methodical, rather than shot gunning. No offense to hunters or non hunters.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-7ff42bc26eee

My Method
    As a general troubleshooting precaution, back up your important data before beginning.
    Create a system restore point before every step.

Take meticulous notes or create screen shots or take pictures for your record. You probably won't need to post them, unless you have a question.

The reason for this is because if you rely on "I enabled the top 5 things", you may be surprised that the order of the items in the lists has changed. Except for a rare occasion when an anti malware service or startup item will re-enable [ re check itself ], that won't happen. If it does, uncheck them again. My opinion is that as humans, we are in charge of the programs on OURcomputers.

Go the the system config utility [ msconfig ]
    start > search
    Type: msconfig.exe
    RIGHT click on it in the results area.
    Left click "send to" desktop create shortcut

OR, you can manually repeat the steps using the search area.

Open the System Configuraton Utility
    Left click "services" tab
    Left click "manufacturer" That will sort the items by manufacturer.
    After you have made a list or created screen shots which you need not attach, but you can if you prefer:
    left click "hide all microsoft services"
    THEN left click "disable all services"
    This will keep the Microsoft services enabled

Left click "startup" tab
    Left click "disable all services"
    Left click "ok"
    Accept the reboot option.
    Test

Report back, or you can continue yourself.

If the problem has gone, with everything on the "startup" tab disabled & all the non Microsoft services on the "services" tab disabled
    Proceed as follows, or report back for advice.

You may notice that some items have re-enabled themselves. Oh well.

If the problem has not occurred, return to the system config utilty.

"services" tab
    Be sure that all Microsoft services are enabled.
    My method is to enable the items of a particular program on the "services" tab and the "startup" tab.
    Trying to determine which service is associated with which startup item or items can be a challenge.
    Do you best.
    Or post screen shots & ask for advice.

Left click "ok"
    Reboot
    Test
    It is important to note that the changes do not take effect until the computer reboots.

If the problem occurs, you know that something you checked is causing the problem.

If the problem does not occur, you know that something from the remaining items is the culprit.

I might have some tips when it comes to re-enabling items.
    I prefer to re-enable services for a product or manufacturer & corresponding startup items.
    I have confidence in you, but I offer my assistance.
    The purpose of clean boot troubleshooting is to use the scientific method [ as opposed to haphazard or shotgun method ] to determine the cause of the conflict.

After the reboot, W7 will notify that you are running in selective startup & ask if you want to see the msg again. I select the "no" option, but it is your choice

RF123

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

frank :
    I have analyzed each .dmp from 2013 the the most recent 2 from 2012.
    2 were caused by iastor.sys
    Information about iastor.sys.
    http://www.file.net/process/iastor.sys.html
    DO NOT click on any links, to fix anything at any site, unless specifically instructed. :)

Multiple BugChecks are present.

1. test the computer's graphics chip
    Download, install & run OCCT
    www.ocbase.com
    The test takes an hour

2. test the computer's memory / ram
    http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
    Download the .iso for the bootable CD
    Run memtest86 for at least 8 hours, or until an error appears

Do you know how to make a bootable disk from a .iso file?

Which CD and DVD burning software is installed?

I use Nero & Roxio / Sonic.

If you don't have any, I've read about Image Burn, but I haven't used it so I could not provide any information about its use.
    http://www.imgburn.com/

Run Dell's Diag, from their boot menu.

In particular, frank, report the results of Dell's hard disk diag

RF123

7. frankwhopon

Thanks again for you help. Here is what I've done.

I tried twice to create a system restore point but the computer kept giving me BSODs before I got a chance to run the create system restore point wizard. I can't create a restore point in safe mode so I went on without creating a restore point since I have one from about a week ago.

I disabled all the services other than the Microsoft services and all the startup services. Norton 360 rechecked itself, so I unchecked it, but upon reboot it rechecked itself again. There were also McAfee services that rechecked themselves; since McAfee is not installed I ran the MCPR tool in safe mode to get rid of it. The uninstallation of McAfee failed so I continued with it on.

As far as I can tell the problem was gone when I did the clean boot.
    First I enabled the Adobe services in the services and startup tabs. I let it run for a few minutes and no BSOD occurred.

Next I enabled the Akamai Technologies, Inc., Alps Electric Co., Ltd. and Apple Inc. services on the services and startup tabs. After running it for a few minutes the computer seemed to be fine.

I then enabled services by Brand Affinity Technologies; Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc.; Creative Technologies Ltd.; Dell Inc; and Dropbox, Inc. No BSOD occurred after running the system for several minutes.

Next I enabled the following service manufactures in the services and startup tabs: Google; Google Inc.; Intel Corporatoin; Eastman Kodak Company. A BSOD occurred shortly after startup. Working in alphabetical order I redisabled everything except for the Eastman Kodak Company service. No BSOD occurred after a few minutes so I enabled the Google and Google Inc. services. No BSOD occurred after a few minutes, so I knew it must be an Intel service.

I then enabled the Intel service "Intel(R ) Matrix Storage Event Monitor" in the services tab. I got a BSOD after using the system for a couple of minutes (I was trying to play a video when it happend).

I went ahead and booted into safe mode to retrieve the minidump and I went ahead and ran OCCT. I didn't see any logs, but the two graphs produced from the monitoring looked regular.
    I am running the Dell Diag now and then I'll run Memtest86. I'll post the results when I'm done.

Attached Files:

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Failed? In what way? Did a warning or error or advisory msg appear?

If so run the MCPR again & provide the msg, as a screen shot, attached to this thread.

From my WinDbrg analysis
    What was the source of the video: online, internal HDD; external HDD; optical disk?

With iaStor.sys / Intel Storage service enabled,
    If online, go to www.bloomberg.com
    Left click "Tiniest drone . . . " or any other video that you fancy.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tini...ng-in-slow-motion-Sq8jahyvQIyGwt8QMJKD9w.html
    Report the results.

Best of success.

Keep us posted.

RF123

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

frank :
    EXCELLENT job of note taking.

RF123

10. frankwhopon

Both the dell diag and the Memtest86 finished with no errors (I only ran the memtest for 6 hours and 40 minutes).

The video was on an internal HDD.

I will work some more on it tomorrow, I'm just letting you know the results so far.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

frank :
    Thanks for the update.

I suspect that the problem is with iaStor.sys.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...computer/50b7af63-bb89-4cf4-8bab-671dd12a4751

I have attached the "readme" file from the above Intel webpage.

Were this my computer, I would do as follows:
    Create a system restore point
    Go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword="matrix+storage+manager"
    Verifty that the correct W7 [ 32 bit vs 64 bit ] is selected.

Please read it and follow the instructions. If you have questions, please pose your question or concern in this thread.

I will have intermittent internet access, beginning late 04 Mar 2013. My plan is to return during late March or early April.

Were this my computer, I would:
    1. Post the results of any diags you have completed, thus far.

edit
    Wait for further instructions if any diag you have run finds an error.

If no errors are found, proceed with the steps, below.

end edit

2. Create a system restore point.
    3. Download the file from Intel; link above.
    4. Follow the instructions in the Intel readme file, which is attached.
    5. Test the computer.

6. If the issue is resolved, wonderful.

7. If the issue continues, return to the system config utility.
    Disable all references to iastor.sys
    Enable all Norton References
    It might be easiest to set the system config utility to the way it was when you started this thread; reboot;
    disable iastor.sys.

8. Download Norton's removal tool
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Be certain to follow Norton's advice regarding the uninstallation of their products; something about Product Key, I think.

9. Uninstall Norton, from Programs & Settings
    Shutdown & restart after waiting 1 minute.

10. Run Norton's removal tool

11. Run Norton's removal tool

12 In the system info utility, enable iastor.sys references
    reboot
    test.

13. A fresh install of Norton may resolve the issue.

Or, you can select a different anti malware program.

I think that Microsoft's Security Essentials [ MSE ] & Windows Defender [ WD ] are reasonable choices. Others perfer Norton or Avast or McAfee or AVG. I am not a fan of Avast Free nor of AVG free. 1 of those, with Windows Defender might be sufficient, but I have no evidence to support that.

On a Vista machine I own, I use MSE & WD.

On a W7 machine I own, I use AVG Internet Security, but opt for the W7 firewall.

MSE download
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1HwnE2oPOIQjeL73MuR0ZWg&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aWM

WD download
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...IHK8kwW0KaOFReX-AZ8v5SQ&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aWM

Best of success.

Keep us posted as to developments.

RF123

Attached Files:

12. dai

dai

13. frankwhopon

OK, sorry for taking so long on this one; I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I reset all the services and start-up process to the configuration I had when I made post #7, the exception being that I enabled Norton services and disabled the Intel services. I then uninstalled Norton 360 through the control panel. After restarting a BSOD occurred, so I booted into safe mode. I ran the Norton removal tool in safe mode successfully. After I finished with the tool however, a BSOD occurred (Minidump1). I booted into safe mode and ran the tool again. Another BSOD occurred shortly after finishing. I enabled the Intel Matrix Storage service and got a BSOD shortly after boot up (Minidump2).

I included and labeled the relevant Minidumps.

Attached Files:

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Dear frankw :
    Please follow dai's suggestion.

I am away, and do not have access to my computer with Windows Debugger.

Again, please follow dai's suggestion.

RF123

15. dai

dai

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice