1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTL Freedom Dialup in the UK

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by avatar1, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avatar1

I expect only UK based bods will be able to answer this query about the NTL freedom dialup package.

I have recently been coerced into changing over to this service from the previous NTL offering - every web page redirected to its changover page! - and I am concerned about what spyware is contained within the connection software.

In its connection directory folder there are files like URLMON.dll which concerns me that all the sites I visit are being logged and transmitted

Has anyone any knowledge or experience about what this connection software contains?

If I can I will try to extract the dialup number and create a new internet connection as I did before to bypass their Gearbox package

Any suggestions/comments appreciated

:)

2. e-liam

e-liam

Hi avatar1,

I use NTL broadband and have never heard of any security issues with any NTL product. I'm not saying there aren't, I just haven't heard of any... :) In fact, NTL themselves, on their Community pages recommend using Adaware to check for spyware.

We can have a look at what is redirecting you though, and how innocent or otherwise it may be. (y)

Could you please download 'Hijack This!' from http://www.spywareinfo.com/files/hijackthis.zip
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Cheers

Liam

3. joe2cool

joe2cool

4. avatar1

Thanks for the info and suggestions joe2cool

5. Moby

Moby

When I had the dial up NTL, I removed that gearbox connection programme in add/remove programmes. You don't need it, and I prefered using normal IE or OE for my internet/mail, rather than a big purple page :)
    To set it up manually is straight forward as long as you have your details.

6. avatar1

e-liam - thanks for your reply too!

Apologies for not seeing your post on clicking the email link sent to me:confused:

I am happy that the redirect was nothing malicious. NTL had told me to download their new software months ago but I wasn't keen (I was one of the few that have had great service from them!!) - I guess their suggestion became more of an order and they redirected me to their "download the new software NOW page"

I did that and like before with their gearbox thingy didn't like the possibility of them spying on my usage so have since sorted a separate DUN connection bypassing their connection software which seems to work OK.

Thanks for your suggestions though I appreciate it :)

7. avatar1

Moby,

Yes, on their new connection software they have hidden the dial up numbers and auto deleted my old NTL DUN setup.

I just happened to create a new one with the old number, I luckily had written down and it seems to work!

I don't get redirected anymore so I guess they have it registered against my user:pass that Mr avatar1 has been a good lad and at least gone through the motions of dowloading the new software!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice