1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR is compressed?XP system restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cutter spaulding, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutter spaulding

cutter spaulding Thread Starter

Hi guys,Major problems!I did a full system restore on my compaq presario desktop(2004 model) and all was going well,when it came to the restart all it says now is NTLDR is compressed,press cntrl+alt+delete to restart,and it just repeats this all the time,how can i get round this and get back my pc
    Many thanks in hope
    Paul

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

If you have an XP CD (any will do), try this:

[Courtesy of ComputerHope]

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the two files indicated below to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the example below we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

{There is a space after 'copy' and before 'c:\'}

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If the problem persists, you may have a corrupt boot sector and/or master boot record.

1. Insert your XP CD and restart your computer.
    2. At the Setup screen, press 'R' to access the Repair Console.
    3. Select the installation you want to repair. Usually there's only a single one listed, such as C:\Windows or C:\WINNT. Type in the number and Enter.
    4. On the next screen enter your password (if you have one).
    5. On the next screen, at the prompt, type in chkdsk /r {with a space before the /r parameter} and press Enter. Let it run.
    6. At the prompt again, type in "fixmbr" {without the quotes} and press Enter.
    7. At the prompt again, type in "fixboot" {without the quotes} and press Enter.
    8. Remove your XP CD and restart the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice