1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR is Missing, after formatting win 98 drive and leaving XP drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shred_head, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shred_head

shred_head Thread Starter

Hello,

On my pc, I had one drive with Windows 98 on it, and one drive with Windows XP on it
    Windows 98 was on drive C:
    XP was on D:

They were set up so I could choose which one to boot to at start up

I wanted to get rid of the 98 entirely, so I edited the boot ini, just removing the entry for windows 98

after restarting the computer, everything was fine....going directly to XP

so I wanted to format the 98 drive so I could use it as additional storage,

which I did using norton partition magic,

I then shut down my computer......turned it back on.....and I get an error saying:
    NTLDR is missing

what should I do?
    the now formatted/blank drive is still as C:\

must the c:\ drive always have the OS in it? am I going to have to convert everything on my D: (XP) drive so that it is C: (if so how)

or what do I do to get back to using my XP again, on drive D:

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

You did a good job until you formatted drive C:. Since the boot files are located there for the dual boot they done go destroyed along with the boot.ini file for logging into Windows XP. I think the best way to solve this is by removing the second drive for now and then doing a clean install of Windows XP on the primary drive then get all of the updates and drivers installed then put the second drive back in and then get all of your data from it and then format it for other use.

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please use Internet Explorer to view this article

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP =
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

3. shred_head

You sure this is the only alternative?

I woudn't be able to put the boot.ini and ntldr files back on just the D drive?

4. thomasjk

thomasjk

Shred_head, print out this set of instructions for rebuilding the master boot record.
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313. If you follow them carefully you will be able to repair the master boot record.

5. shred_head

will this work, by keeping the only OS in my whole system on drive D:?

I thought there was some rumour that the bootable os on a system must exist on C:

6. thomasjk

thomasjk

As far as I know XP can boot from any drive. I would follow the procedure to get things working again and then use windows disk management to change the drive letter to what you want.

7. shred_head

ok.....so I go through this process, but instead of C:, use drive D:

then say I am able to get into windows, I can change the drive letter to say.......C, and not have any problems via registry entries or anything?

8. shred_head

No registry changes would be required later?

9. bbearren

bbearren

I would suggest that you just exchange IDE cables between your C: and D: drives. The drive on the end of the primary IDE cable is C: by default in BIOS.

From there, do a repair/reinstall of XP, and everything should be good to go.

10. shred_head

using this.........it will create the boot.ini and ntldr files and put them on the D drive.....won't it.....but from what I'm told, there must be the boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect files on the C: drive regardless of there being an operating system on there or not......so will this method through the link do all of this for me...and put it on the c drive....or will it put it on the d, and then I will have to copy them to the C drive

11. bbearren

bbearren

12. shred_head

from what I gathered, it would not would it....................

13. bbearren

bbearren

14. shred_head

ok, so this will not put anything on drive c, and put the boot ini, ntldr, and netdetect on drive d?

15. bbearren

bbearren

Your boot files will be placed on your boot hard drive in the root directory. C: is the default boot drive. If you make changes in BIOS to use a different drive to boot, that drive will become your C: drive.

Your OS can be on any drive, but your boot files will be on your boot drive.

If you don't want any boot files on the drive you're now calling C:, then you will have to change the boot order in BIOS, and the drive you are now calling C: will no longer be C: The drive you select to boot from will become C: drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!