1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR is missing after new HD install???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SweetChick, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SweetChick

SweetChick Thread Starter

I just installed a new 120 GB Maxtor drive and it is giving problems so I put back the old one so I could get online to figure out the problem, I installed the drive and loaded the Maxblast CD to set up the drive and that worked fine, but then when it's restarted and I try to install the Dell XP Home disk I get a error that says "NTLDR IS MISSING" This is a full copy of XP because I've used the same CD to install XP on my old compaq after a full format. I've set the new drive up just like the old one which had the jumpers set for Cable Select. I have the bios set to read the CD first, I have been researching this for days and all the solutions seem to to go right over my head, I've tried to make a boot floppy but the a: drive will not format a disk for some reason... Any suggestion that I could try.

2. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

I'm wouldn't be much good at answering this question for you but I did find this link. It might be some help.
    NTLDR is missing

John

3. Dan O

Dan O

You should have not used MAXBLAST. It not needed for XP and causes problems.

See if the CD includes a MAXBLAST uninstall and then reinstall XP, which should then work correctly.

BTW: XP's setup includes a partition and disk manager so no other utilities are needed.

4. mobo

mobo

type FIXBOOT and answer yes after

type in the following commands and after each click enter and be sure to leave all spaces exactly as they are..

CD \
    ATTRIB -H NTLDR
    ATTRIB -S NTLDR
    ATTRIB -R NTLDR
    ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
    COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)
    COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)

Afterwards reboot

5. SweetChick

Type FIXBOOT when? When the black screen comes up that says the NTLDR is missing? I don't think it lets me type anything there except Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

6. SweetChick

I had a thought on what might fix my problem, what if took out my current 2nd internal drive and I installed my new 120 GB drive that I want to use as my main drive as a 2nd drive and then used my current XP to format it like it needs to be and then take out both drives and put the 120GB back as the main drive with my old 2nd drive back where it was????

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you used the maxtor software to install the drive, it may have installed a disk overlay to the hd. As Dan posted use maxblast to uninstall any features that it installed. After that is finished enter your bios and set the cd as the first boot device and restart with the xp cd in the cd drive. Setup should start; you may see a message to press any key to boot from cd. This only appears for a few seconds; so if it does just press the space bar.

What type of computer / mb are you trying to install this drive on? You may need a bios update to see the full size of the drive.

8. mobo

mobo

Sorry for the miscommunication..You have to boot from the xp cdrom and enter the recovery console. Then choose the operating system to repaie and enter the admin password. Then start with what I posted above.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!