1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR is missing and I have no admin password!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by metalguyn, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metalguyn

metalguyn Thread Starter

Am I in trouble? Ok heres the deal. My moms computer had a big red X next to the C: Drive, so I ran AVG and it wouldnt work it just froze up. So I did some poking around online and found Vundo. So I ran it and it found a bunch of stuff and then deleted it all. Then when I restarted the PC I get the "NTLDR is missing, Press ctrl-alt-delete to restart" error message. So I found out how to fix that with a boot disk. Here comes problem number one. the recovery disk is HP Windows XP sp2. Im not sure if the OS is the same because the disk is from my laptop. (both are HP windows xp) So I put in the disk, hit ctrl-alt-del and press enter to boot from disk. Everything looks normal, it says windows setup, and is loading files at the bottom of the screen. At the welcome screen I press R and am taken to the recovery console. This is where it gets weird. I get this list which reads:

1: E:\MiniNt
    2: E:\I386
    3: C:\WINDOWS
    4: D:\WINDOWS

So I press 3 and Enter and get this:

C:\WINDOWS>
    I hit enter and I guess I dont need a password.
    I enter MAP and get this:

E: FAT32 5086 MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
    C: NTFS 33068 MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
    D: NTFS 194474MB \Device\Harddisk1\Partition1
    A: \Device\Floppy0
    F: \Device\CdRom0

then I type " copy c:\1386\ntldr c:\" and hit ENTER
    The it says "Access is denied"

Now what do I do?
    This computer is kinda old. and has a three HDs with over 300 gigs of storage and she has filled about 150 gigs with whatever stuff she has pictures and videos and whatnot and tons of business stuff. (shes a loan officer) I would hate to tell her that I ruined her computer. What can I do? Please help me figure this out. We would be more than happy to offer a donation to the site if we can get some advice. Thanks in advance,
    J D

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If I remember right (and unfortunately I can not check at the moment), after pressing R to start the recovery console the list yo get is asking you which installation you want to repair. The one you want to repair, I would assume, is the C:\Windows installation as that is the default.

When you select 3 (C:\Windows) it will take you to the command prompt. When I had a problem with ntldr missing that is all I had to do, get to that command prompt and then restart and it worked.

**EDIT: lol, looks like you were editing while I was typing this, so my post probably makes little sense now **

3. metalguyn

metalguyn Thread Starter

but nothing happened.
    NTLDR is missing

Fudge crackers!!!!!!!!

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Next option is to boot up from the CD again and go into the recovery console.

Select your default boot drive when you have the option (C:\windows).

You then need to copy 2 files from the CD onto your hard drive:

copy f:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy f:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ (you may get away without doing the ntdetec.com file)

where f:\ is the cd rom, looking at your post above f: is your cd rom drive so just type those commands at the command prompt. Do them one at a time and press ENTER after each command, then try rebooting.

You almost had it right before (I missed it as I was doing some work at the same time) but you appear to have tried to copy the file from the C:\ (where it is missing from), which is why you got the access denied / error.

5. metalguyn

metalguyn Thread Starter

I will try that in the morning and post the results. After 5 hours of fiddling with it Im done for the night. Thanks for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!