1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR is misssing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by artind, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artind

artind Thread Starter

I've read most all related posts, however I still have problems.
    1st problem was "NTLDR is missing...cntl alt del to restart"
    I burned a CD to use "fixntldriso" and used this to get back into windows. Then I got this error msg. " Warning! Win32/Adware.Virtumonde" and "Win32/PrivacyRemover.M64" filled my screen.
    I ran all the following: McAfee; Ad-Aware; Spybot; ccleaner; eusing register cleaner; Anti-Malware...they found a few problems but problems still abound.
    I think I got rid of Virtumonde and .M64 (but I'm not sure). I used my XP Pro Reinstallation CD (service pack #1) but could not rebuild a correct boot up routine.

I can boot into windows but cannot boot in "Safe" mode. Looking around, I've found boot files where they never were before. "ntldr" and "Ntdetect" is in C:\ & C:\doc & settings\name\desktop\i386 & C:\windows\servicepackfiles.
    I renamed the original files with ext ".old" and used the new files from the CD.

I then renamed the ntldr and ntdetect files in C:\ using the ".old" extension just to see effects (because they were not there before). After renaming I got the original error msg "NTLDR is missing ctlr alt del to restart".

I've downloaded "SmitfraudFix" but cannot run it in Safe mode.

I also lost all my Restore Points.

My boot files must be all messed up. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Claymore

Claymore

ntldr and ntdetect.com should exist in the root of the C: drive. They are Hidden System files. The other locations don't affect you startup (i386 and servicepackfiles).

Here's the "normal" routine to correct this problem:

[Courtesy of ComputerHope]

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the two files indicated below to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the example below we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

{There is a space after 'copy' and before 'c:\'}

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If the problem persists, you may have a corrupt boot sector and/or master boot record.

1. Insert your XP CD and restart your computer.
    2. At the Setup screen, press 'R' to access the Repair Console.
    3. Select the installation you want to repair. Usually there's only a single one listed, such as C:\Windows or C:\WINNT. Type in the number and Enter.
    4. On the next screen enter your password (if you have one).
    5. On the next screen, at the prompt, type in chkdsk /r {with a space before the /r parameter} and press Enter. Let it run.
    6. At the prompt again, type in "fixmbr" {without the quotes} and press Enter.
    7. At the prompt again, type in "fixboot" {without the quotes} and press Enter.
    8. Remove your XP CD and restart the computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another fix that has been suggested is that because of disk fragmentation the NTLDR file has been moved out of place. The suggested fix is to pull the drive from the computer and attach it to another computer, either internally or via a USB enclosure, and defragment it from there.

3. artind

artind Thread Starter

Claymore...Thanks for responding. I can boot normal into C: (WINDOWS) for all users. My existing problem is that I cannot boot into "Safe" mode using F8 key. When I attempt, I just get a bunch of files written across the screen and I then have to do a hard pwr off and back on. I tried all ways (I can think of) to get into "Safe" mode with no success.

I attempted to run the second 8 steps you gave me. Here's my results:
    1. I ran chkdsk /r.....it reported it fixed one or more errors
    2. I did not run fixmbr.....the following warning scared me off:
    "This PC has a non-standard or invalid mbr. You may damage your partition tables to proceed. This could cause all partitions on drive to become inaccessible. If you are not having trouble accessing your drive - do not continue! Are you sure you want to write a new mbr ?"
    I answered no because I currently can log onto C: (WINDOWS) normally, use all functions & programs and do not detect any problems.
    3. I did not run "fixboot".....this warning scared me from running this: "The target partition is C: are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ?"
    I answered no because I am not sure what the result might be.

My problem is not being able to access "Safe" mode. Do you think I should go ahead and run "fixmbr" and "fixboot" not knowing what the results might be ? Or is there something else you can think of that might fix my "access into Safe mode" problem ?
    My reinstall CD is XP Pro SP1...my PC is updated to SP3.

4. Claymore

Claymore

OK. It's not likely an ntldr problem, otherwise the machine wouldn't boot at all.
    If Safe Mode hangs for a long time while loading your basic drivers (the scrolling white text on the black background) - it sometimes does take a while to load Safe Mode - then try this first:

Go to Start => Run and type in (or copy/paste):
    sfc /scannow
    {there is a space after sfc}

This routine checks your basic system files against a backup copy on the computer itself and against those on the installation CD.

You may be asked for your XP installation CD.

Also, check the Event Viewer for any System or Applicaion errors at the time you tried Safe Mode. To access the Event Viewer go to Start => Run and type in:

eventvwr.msc

Maximize the window that opens.

5. artind

artind Thread Starter

I ran sfc /scannow. I observed the following results:
    1st I got the window with the progress bar. sfc /scannow would run for a while and then give me a pop up window with this msg "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your XP Pro CD now". This window had 3 buttons: retry; more info; & Cancel.

The CD was already in the drive. I just clicked on retry and the sfc program continured to run. This happened probably about 9-10 times before sfc /scannow program completed. I don't know what hitting the "retry" button did. Anyway sfc /scannow always continued and seemed to complete after about 1 hr. or so.

After sfc /scannow I tried using F8 to boot into "Safe" mode and got the same result as before...scrolling white text files on a black screen. Most of these files seemed to be drivers. At this point the computer froze and I had to do a hard power off and back on on.

I booted (normal) into windows and immediately ran "eventvwr.msc":

Under Application I saw 4 entries. All were "information" types:
    1. McLogEvent 2. Pure Network Platform Service 3. Security Center 4. gusvc
    The only "error" I saw was: nview_info...event 1...N/A which was logged about 2 hrs earlier when I was reading my e-mail.

Under System I saw a lot. All were "information" types:
    1. Service Control Manager event 7036
    2. Service Control Manager event 7035
    these two repeated about 10 times.
    3. E100B event 5
    4. Event log event 6005, 6006, & 6009
    I saw no errors.

6. Claymore

Claymore

OK, I take it there are no "Errors" in the Event Viewer, only "Information".
    When starting in Safe Mode, is the last file shown on the list of scrolling text "mup.sys"?
    In Normal Mode go to Start => Run and type in msconfig
    In the BOOT.INI tab, check the box /BOOTLOG
    Restart in Safe Mode.

Restart in Normal Mode and get the file bootlog.txt in C:\Windows.

In your next post, attach (via the paperclip) this file.

7. artind

artind Thread Starter

Note some progress (I think): yesterday I powered down. Today I powered up (hard with button). After a Normal log in I then attempted a "Safe" mode log in. I got logged in (in Safe mode) to the log in window. However, when I attempted to enter a password for my own admin and system administration accounts...the "Type in password" window would NOT accept any input from the keyboard. I could not enter any password in either account from the keyboard. I restarted back to Normal mode and everything was ok there. I think keyboard must be working ok.

1. When starting in Safe mode, last file is "agp440.sys"; next to last file is "mup.sys".

2. In msconfig, I checked /BOOTLOG...

3. Restarted in Safe mode...got to log in window

4. Restarted in Normal mode to get the file bootlog.txt

5. I could not find bootlog.txt file in C:\Windows

6. I did a search for "bootlog.txt", "bootlog", and "boot"...nothing was found for any of these 3 searches.

8. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

Look for the file ntbtlog.txt in C:\Windows

As I remember, the keyboard and mouse drivers load after mup.sys and just after the usb drivers. Are you using a USB keyboard? Any difference if you replace with a regular PS/2 keyboard?

9. artind

artind Thread Starter

I'm using a standard PS/2 keyboard and it works fine in Normal mode.

Please find file "ntbtlog.txt" attached.
    oops...I forgot to boot up in Safe mode first. Should I do that and send another "ntbtlog.txt ?

Attached Files:

10. Claymore

Claymore

If you're going to try Safe Mode again, delete the contents of the file ntbtlog,txt first as each start just tacks the load data on to the end of the file and it's tricky to sort the different loads out.
    Thanks

11. artind

artind Thread Starter

Here's a new cleaner copy of file "ntbtlog.txt".

While getting this, another surprise! I could log in in Safe mode...I could type in my Admin password and it was accepted. While in Safe mode I tried a couple things: opened a game (it worked) and opened add or remove programs in the cntl panel (it worked). How did this happen? I first thought running sfc yesterday might have fixed something but today I could only get to the Safe mode log in window...until this last time! I don't know.

Anyhow this is what I did to get a cleaner copy of "ntbtlog.txt":
    1. deleted contents of file "ntbtlog.txt"
    2. from Normal mode I restarted and booted into Safe mode
    3. I got into Safe mode log in window and was surprised when I could type in a password.
    4. did the two things mentioned above while in Safe mode
    5. I restarted from Safe mode and booted back into Normal mode.
    6. copied and attached new file "ntbtlog.txt"

Any ideas about what's going on? I still think something is wrong. Can't explain what or why things are happening. Also computer seems a lot slower that it used to.

Thanks

Attached Files:

12. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

Who knows?

I've edited your log file. Obviously, it contained two boots: one to Safe Mode and one to Normal Mode. I've stripped out the Normal Mode boot to leave the Safe Mode that worked. I also stripped out all the "Did not load" lines, as in Safe mode many of your drivers are not meant to load anyway (e.g. video card). What you are left with is the log of a successful boot to Safe Mode for your machine.
    Keep this log for comparison in the future in case it balks again.

If it seems to be working OK, you'll want to disable BOOTLOG in msconfig, as the file will get longer and longer.

Regards

Attached Files:

13. artind

artind Thread Starter

Claymore,
    I'm back to NOT being able to log into Safe mode. Today I tried all different ways...I could get to the Safe mode log in Window, but when I attempted to type in my password...nothing!
    I'm about ready to start uninstalling programs.
    I appreciate your effort to help. Any ideas? It's like maybe a driver for the keyboard is not loading in Safe mode...just a guess.

14. Claymore

Claymore

Bad luck!

Safe Mode halts at various points or may load successfully.

Three things:

1. Go to Control Panel => Regional and Language Options => Languages => Details.
    Which keyboard are you using?

2. Do the BOOTLOG thing again. Activate it in msconfig. Locate the file ntbtlog.txt in C:\Windows. Delete the file contents. Restart in Safe Mode. Attach the file to your next post.

This to see if the keyboard works at all ...

3. If/when you get to the login screen, tap the Tab key. Do you see the "focus" cycling through the different elements on the screen? Does it get to your login box? Also, do a Ctrl-Alt-Del *twice* in succession to bring up the "Classic" login screen. Does the keyboard work there?

We may be looking at a Repair install.

15. artind

artind Thread Starter

2 parts to my reply:

A. Your last 3 things:
    1. Keyboard is "English (US)
    2. See part B for expansion of this
    3. Tapping the Tab key does nothing...however I can get "focus" using
    the mouse cursor (it works). I can click on Admin users and open
    the login box, I just can't type in anything using the keyboard.
    4. Cntl-Alt-Del twice does nothing.

B. Here's some additional information from some expermenting I've done:
    1. I looked in sys mgr hardware device manager and found the PS/2
    keyboard has 2 drivers: i8042prt.sys and kbdclass.sys
    2. I cleaned out contents of ntbtlog
    3. I attempted to boot in Safe mode 3 times and each time I got to
    the log in box but could NOT type in a password.
    Time stamps are: 8:41:59; 8:54:50; 9:06:37
    4. On the 4th attempt to boot in Safe mode I got to the log in box
    and found I could SUCCESSFULLY type in a password and get into
    Safe mode. Time stamp in ntbtlog is 9:18:25.
    5. Last boot data in "ntbtlog" is Normal boot at Time stamp: 11:24:29.

Notes of Interest:
    1. The 2 keyboard drivers i8042prt.sys and kbdclass.sys BOTH loaded
    successfully during step 4 and 5 above.
    2. The keyboard driver i8042prt.sys loaded successfully ONLY on the
    steps above (4 and 5) when I could type in a password via the
    keyboard, and get into either Safe or Normal mode.
    3. The Keyboard driver i8042prt.sys DID NOT LOAD on any of the 3
    attempts to boot into Safe mode (noted in step 3 above).
    4. The keyboard driver kbdclass.sys loaded on all boot attempts.
    5. I also noticed a error msg "flash" prior to all 3 unsuccessful attempts
    to boot into Safe mode. Error msg was to fast to read but I did
    read at beginning "Phoneix ROM BIOS version 1. ??" and at the end
    I could read "Keyboard Failure"
    6. I googled keyboard driver i8042prt.sys and read that it had known
    file sizes of 52736 (90%), 51072, 54784, 50944...I checked mine
    found it's size to be 52480.

I left all 5 boot ups in "ntbtlog" and have noted the time stamps so using
    "Find" gets you from one to the next...or just delete what you need to.

I don't know where to go from here.

Do you think keyboard driver i8042prt.syt could be corrupted?

Why does the Safe mode boot up function work at random? Is the Safe mode boot up function corrupted?

What is the error msg "Keyboard Failure" telling us?

Is it something else?

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice