NTLDR Missing...fresh windows install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sec4allstar

just installed windows xp thru dos

said ms dos portion was done and was gonna restart comp

computer came back on and said NTLDR missing

Why did you use DOS? Is there some reason that you can't boot from the CD or use the setup floppy set?

The problem probably lies with your boot.ini file or another startup file.

sec4allstar

because i had reformatted it so there was no windows

and for some reason it wont boot with my windows xp disc and i get an error with the floppies (forgot the error can tell u wat it is tomorrow)

so i did it from dos and when its done that is the error i get NTLDR missing and i watched it copy that file too i dont understand why its missing

Can you get into BIOS setup when the machine first boots? If you can, look for the place to set the boot order. Set it so that the hard drive is first and the CD second. When the machine finds no OS on the HD, it should boot from the CD.

Did you start the installation from a boot floppy and then run winnt?

Just to be sure that there is nothing on the drive causing problems, try booting from a 98 floppy, running fdisk to remove all partitions and logical drives, create a new partition and just to be sure the drive is OK, format it FAT32.

98SE boot floppy--> http://www.madboot.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=55

sec4allstar

Elvandil said:
Can you get into BIOS setup when the machine first boots? If you can, look for the place to set the boot order. Set it so that the hard drive is first and the CD second. When the machine finds no OS on the HD, it should boot from the CD.

Did you start the installation from a boot floppy and then run winnt?

Just to be sure that there is nothing on the drive causing problems, try booting from a 98 floppy, running fdisk to remove all partitions and logical drives, create a new partition and just to be sure the drive is OK, format it FAT32.

exactly that b4 coming here about 50 times still said same thing

it boots from cd with my windows 98 disk but ten says my cd is dirty wen it comes time to go to install

weird

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online