1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR Missing now hanging on BIOS screen?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AdrianB, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

I had a problem with my PC when trying to look at my photos, it said they were corrupt. When I turned it on the next day I got the message NTLDR missing press ctrl+alt +del to continue, doing so just restarted the computer.

So I took the hard drive from old pc (we’ll call that C: ) placed it as the master, and made this pc’s hard drive the slave (we’ll call that G: ). When I turned it on, there were loads of messages for about 15 minutes about cleaning up corrupt files and such.

Windows started from C: and I copied what pictures hadn’t been lost since the last backup from G: to C: then formatted G: as I wanted to do a fresh install of xp pro.

After the format G: was showing as about 20gb still being used for some reason.

Now when I turn on the PC with either hard drive installed it hangs on the first red Compaq Bios screen that shows V3.8 at the bottom and I don’t seem to be able to do anything?

I really have no idea what to do from here so any help would be great.:(

It’s a Compaq Presario S5600UK.

Thanks(y) .

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The hd is probably failing. I would test your original drive with the hd mfg's utility for checking drives. You would need to know who made your hd ie seagate, maxtor, western digital, etc. Go to that site and download their diagnostic app. It will run from bootable media ie CD or floppy. Now test the drive. If the drive checks out ok, you can zero fill it and reinstall your os.

Note I would pull / disconnect the drive you copied your files to so as to prevent any inadvertent erasing of your files.

3. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, well it seems to be working today which is strange?

I'm managed to format the harddrive as part of the windows xp install and install windows but now when it gets to certain part of the setup its telling the monitor to go into stand by so I cant see whats happening!

Might post that as another problem though:confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!