1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR missing question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skulljuice, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skulljuice

skulljuice Thread Starter

I was first getting a "corrupt disc and missing hive" message when starting the pc, out of nowhere. So i tried to using my HP Recovery discs that i made when i set the pc up. i used them recently with success when i had a virus. This process appeared to be working, but froze up somewhere in the middle several times.

Now, I dont have a windows boot disc like several sites recommend for this situation. Ive tried booting from usb drive with something from another site. nothing works. im considering:

1.a new hard drive
    2. upgrading to windows 7 with a disc
    3.purchasing one of cure all programs for $50 ive seen around the net. at least that should let me boot something

please help!

2. bluemonkey519

bluemonkey519

I just had a similar "Missing NTLDR" missing on a Windows XP. Even after using the Windows XP disk to restore the file it still said it was missing. I ended up just reformatting the whole thing.

If there is nothing important on the PC, you can consider purchasing Windows 7. WIndows 7 DOES NOT keep your files from XP, it wipes it all out and does a clean install. Of course make sure your computer meets the requirements for windows 7 before hand.

A new hard drive would obviously solve the issue too, just make sure you get a compatable one for your system. Taking the old one so an employee can help may be a good idea.

A new Hard Drive (depending on the size) would be about the same price as windows 7, or even a little cheaper. If your current system can handle it, i'd get Windows 7 as Windows XP is slowly being phased out.

3. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,can you get into your Bios,have you access to another XP machine,if yes to both,set your bios to boot from floppy 1st boot order,go to the other XP machine and go to the root in " C" select these, Boot.ini,NTLDR,Ntdetect.com, and copy them to a floppy disc,put the floppy in the machine and reboot,does this help.

4. skulljuice

blue,
    thanks. i think i will do that. although, im wondering if i have to purchase the full windows for 200 or if i can get the upgrade for 120. it is an upgrade. but i dont know if things are in well enough order to go through that way???

huggie,
    i do have access to another xp machine with a floppy, but the pc in question has no floppy.

5. huggie54

huggie54

you could put them on a disc,setting your bios to boot from cd rom drive first of course

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might want to be sure that the problem is not hardware before spending money for an OS. A memory problem, or one with the drive itself could have those symptoms.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic.

7. skulljuice

huggie, i tried something similar earlier today. i found a website with a zip of those on it. all i got were corruption messages, or missing files.

elvandil, thanks. ill try that. i might buy a new hard drive and os. better than a whole new pc. but ill try your suggestions.

8. huggie54

huggie54

zip files will not work,you need to burn them to disc,a rewritable if possible

9. skulljuice

for sure. i used a usb flash drive. the result was disdain. it got me a little further, but i still was not able to do anything, including boot in safe mode.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may want to test the drive, too, if the memory passes (no other test results can be trusted if memory is not good). But be sure to save all you want before that. The tests themselves can send a bad drive over the edge.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
    Victoria for DOS
    Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
    BleepingComputer

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!