1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR missing when trying to install XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thewolfe, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

NTLDR missing when trying to install XP

I tried to do it from the XP CD but it wouldn't let me delete the FAT32 partition to install the NTFS partition. So I "slaved" the drive and formatted it with NTSF.

Now when I start the orig computer I get the above message.

How do I get past it to install XP?

The BIOS is set to boot from the CD first.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

REGISTRY WARNING: The details that follow require an above-average understanding of the technical topics involved. If you do not understand the Registry material presented here, either find a technically-knowledgeable friend or do not attempt to repair your system Registry yourself. Improper changes in the System Registry can render all data on your hard disk inaccessible.

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please give this a try and print it out for reference

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here is a link to a registry backup program that is absolutely fantastic it is called ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Remember to always keep a backup of two things:

Your registry and your data. You will never be sorry.

3. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

I did back up the data and then reformatted the drive.

Now after re-installing in original machine, I get the "NTLDR missing" message and the computer won't start from Win XP CD

4. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Also I can see the CD from a dos bootup disk but it won't let me run "Setup.exe".

5. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Can't boot from CD as I could before I wiped out HD.

I ***-u-me if I bought another HD, all would be well?

6. norton850

norton850

As you found out you can't use a DOS disc. Are you still set to boot from the CD drive first and is the drive seen in BIOS?

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Are you installing from an original XP install disc or a copy? . . You should be able to boot from the install disc after changing the BIOS to boot first from CD

8. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

I can see the HD in the BIOS and I'm still set to boot from CD first.

I can here it spin and the CD drawer flashes.

The only difference it that I re-formatted the HD in another machine aas a slave.

9. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Orig. CD

10. norton850

norton850

I imagine the answer is yes, but does the CD drive (not the HD) show up in BIOS?

11. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Yes, I can see the CD-ROM.

It would have to have gone bad between unplugging HD, re-formatting it on another comp and then plugging it back in.

And yes, I did ck all the connections.

12. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Well.....I changed the data cables from the original position and I changed the jumper setting from the orig. and it gave me the same NT...missing but I also got "Press any key ...from CD".

So I restarted twice and got into the XP installation.

I did not change the cables or the jumpers yesterday so I don't undersatnd it but thanks for the posts.

I'll report back when all is installed.

13. fredman

fredman

I had the same problem with 2000, and got a temp fix:

Go to Windows Explorer/tools/files and click on 'show all hidden files', and also 'show system files'.
    You should then see NTLDR at the root of C:

Now copy that NTLDR from the C: to a Floppy (assuming you have a floppy), then boot from the floppy.
    Somehow, it sees my NTLDR on the floppy, but not on the HD, and it boots.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another problem I have seen is when some folks FDISK a HD, and then try to load Windows on it, it blue screened every time.
    SO I skipped formatting it, and never had a problem.

14. bigbear

bigbear

15. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll take that safeguard.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!