1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR Missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by graceofdragons, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. graceofdragons

graceofdragons Thread Starter

Hello Again

I was experimenting with Vista RC6000 from MSDN, I installed it on a second Hard Drive I had, and after Loading that HD and messing with Vista I changed the boot priority in my bios back to my Raptor which has my XP install. At this time I got my NTLDR Message.

I immediatley tried to load Vista again, but it would restart before loading desktop.

I tried several times to use my XP CD and My Friends XP CD, both go to the Windows Setup Screen after Boot From CD, and stopped, doing nothing, I tried several times.

This morning I couldn't get video to my monitor, so I took the computer down, replaced Video card, still didn't work, plugged Video card into my TV, it worked, rehooked up my monitor...now my monitor worked. So I attempted to install XP on my secondary HD. It worked I setup XP then restarted for the final time. Again, NTLDR is Missing Error Appeared.

Then I tried several different configurations of all 3 of my SATA drives, nothing worked. And once again, I can not install XP.

Can anyone explain this, maybe attempt a fix. I tried to solutions offered on http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Those also, had no effect.

I've exhausted everything I know about computers, any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
    I'm running
    AMD 64 3200 2.0ghz
    DFI LanParty UT NF4
    1x BFG Geforce 6800 OC PCI-E
    1x 74gb Raptor 10,000 RPM
    1x Seagate 250g SATA
    1x Seagate 500g SATA

Stock 430 Watt PSU

2. Kustom

Kustom

If you can boot into the recovery console from your windows cd try tunning the command fixboot, that should fix it if not you can run a sfc /scannow to attempt to fix it as well.

How to get to recovery Console:
    Boot off of your windows XP cd, when you come to the Blue screen saying welcome to setup press the (R) button and the black recovery console screen appears. Select your OS from the list and enter your administrator password.

3. graceofdragons

Part of the Problem is after I boot off the Windows CD, it says please wait on the black screen, loads the blue screen with "Windows Setup" in the top left, and hangs, the usual progress bar on the bottom prompting F6 to load 3rd Party SCSI or F8 to load Windows Automated Repair, doesn't appear. It doesn't respond to any keys.

I'm gonna take it down after work tonight again, and see if I can make forward progress, I'll try to Recovery Console as soon as I can get it to work :( Thanks for suggestion, I had forgot about the console.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try booting from one of the media below. They contain a generic boot.ini that defaults to the first partition of the first drive and the "Windows" folder. But there are options for any of 3 partitions on the first 2 hard drives and "Winnt" folders if that is where your system is installed.

Download XP Sysboot media here:
    Bootable Sysboot Floppy
    Bootable Sysboot CD Image

If you do not have a burner that will burn ISO images, or if you don't know how, then use this Standalone CD/DVD/ISO Burner to create a bootable CD from the image above.

If either of these works, we can go from there. But the fix will probably involve the commands suggested by Kustom, so you could also try that first.

5. graceofdragons

Alright, I burned the ISO and it got me back into the windows I managed to install on my secondary HD. The primary HD (the Raptor) appears to be wiped, it's reading blank, 69.1 of 69.1 Gigs Free...no idea how that happened.

I still can't boot without the CD, and I still can't install a new copy of windows, so I can't access the repair console.

Thanks for the help so far.

6. bigbear

bigbear

Try resetting the Cmos

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you get to the Recovery Console by choosing "R" for "repair" before XP setup by booting from the XP CD? If you can't get that far with your XP CD, try burning the iso inside this cabinet file to CD and booting from it. It contains only the RC: [​IMG]

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I had the identical problem this week and am equally baffled. Though I can find no setting in bios to order the drives as 1,2,3,4, for some strange reason the only sata port I can boot from is #3, and I have given up between the NTLDR Missing and NO System Disk I am going nuts.
    Socket 939 and premium Biostar board with Raptor drives so no junk here either.
    If I were you I would very carefully try booting from each of your sata ports until you find the one that is booting the os, and as I said I myself am long past bewteen Acronis restores, fixboot, fixmbr and I even in desperation I reinstalled clean Windows on sata 1 and it would boot, restored back image file and forgetaboutit.

9. graceofdragons

Wow, this is baffling. It stopped working again, I woke up to it being off, tried to turn it on, and it crashed just before loading login, sounds like its booting fine, then loss of video signal, then I see the POST screen again. Endlessly repeating if I let it.

I've installed windows twice today, restart after installing nForce Drivers and Video Drivers, anything I do after that, the system goes into that cycle again.

I've checked every piece of Hardware, everything seems to be working properly, both RAM sticks are fine, Memtest ran for an hour and a half. HDDs passed all surface scans, even fixed the NTLDR, MBR was repaired.

I'm gonna go check out old posts for similar windows crashing behavior. Maybe the problem moved on...

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Tap F8 after hitting power button and then choose enable Vga drivers. It's the video drivers that are messed up.

11. graceofdragons

VGA didn't work, but I did turn off the Automatic Restart (DUH)

It's crashing due to the Windows Login Process Crashing, I can finally see the BSOD, looking up info now.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sometimes overheating can cause intermittent problems similar to RAM failure. Is air flow unrestricted and all fans working? If you have a hardware monitor in BIOS, check it from time to time.

13. BroMacK

BroMacK

FOUND A SOLUTION!!

OK, I have never had this issue (NTLDR error on bootup) until today when I upgraded my BIOS from 1010 to 1013 (ASUS A8N-E). Sure enough, the problem started coming up... I fought with it and finally found out why this problem is happening - at least with my PC.

I have two IDE drives in the PC. Evidently the new BIOS image defaults the priority order (not boot order) of the master and slave HDD as the slave being on top. To fix it, simply enter the bios, navigate to the boot tab, select "Hard Disk Drives", highlight your master drive (which can be determined from the main tab if needed), and click the + button on the keypad. (This is another bug - the plus sign next to the backspace does not work here - buggy!). Save the changes, reboot, and problem should be solved!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice