1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTLDR Missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by goboydj, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goboydj

goboydj Thread Starter

Okay, the usual caboodle! Cant seem to boot into XP (64-bit edition). Basically I tried to install Fedora Core 6 with success, and wanted to follow this guide which explained how to add Linux into the XP boot menu, trouble is, I didn't even get as far as configuring the boot menu, when XP claimed "NTLDR is missing, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I have spent all morning in recovery console with little success and have at least narrowed it down somewhat. Basically I have 3 hard drives, one is for XP, one is for my games, one is (or was) for Linux. I have disconnected the Linux drive for the time-being. Now - get this... when I disconnect the Game drive (HDD2) everything is fine and I boot into XP normally. But when I connect HDD2 and reboot, it throws the same NTLDR message. I thought maybe HDD2 had a copy of the boot information but the root of the drive is blank - so it is not that. I'm not sure - really confused. But I cannot rebuild the bootcfg - it just tells me the hard drive is corrupted and to run chkdsk which claims the drives are fine. BASICALLY... All I want to do now is get HDD1 & HDD2 working as it used to - to hell with Linux for the moment. Any ideas? Preferably without having to format the drive as there is 200gb of Game data on it.

2. goboydj

goboydj Thread Starter

I've just installed PartitionMagic 8 to see if I could get to the root of the problem. Basically it claims my 1024 cylinder boundary and 2gb boot boundary are practically on top of one another? Another thing, when I try to run CHKDSK, it tells me that the hard drive is in RAW format and it cannot check the disk for errors. To me it sounds like drive D is damaged somehow but it still reads fine, when I reconnect the drive in Windows.

If I copy the D drive partition to another hard disc, would the problems persist. I mean... is the hard drive faulty - or the partition itself? And if I format this drive, would it correct the problems. Help!!! :( :confused:

3. bonk

bonk Banned

If you can backup the data you want then I would proceed with formatting and see how it goes.

4. goboydj

goboydj Thread Starter

I'll format drive D first though like you suggested and see how that goes.

But how do I completely "eradicate" the contents of the hard drive. Would I need something like CyberScrub? And what if an entry in the MBR is reading the disk incorrectly - I can't really clear that part of the MBR without wiping boot loader for XP, so I might as well wipe both drives and rebuild?

5. goboydj

goboydj Thread Starter

I've installed another hard drive but the problem persists. Partition Magic tells me the 1024 cylinder boundary is right at the beginning of the drive. Is that normal? Because in my years of computing experience I have never known it to be at the start of a drive before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need to boot to "R" recovery console from XP cd and then fixboot and then fixmbr. Then go into the bios and be certain the right drive is set to boot as the first hard drive....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!