1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

$NTUninstallKB....$ folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sarcasm8, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

I have Windows 2000 Pro for an OS. In the WNNT folder I have a series of "hidden" folders named $NTUninstallKB(series of numbers)$.

What are they and can I delete these? They seem to be taking up a lot of space.

2. rrlr420

rrlr420

All you have to do is delete the folder, there's no tricky function to perform. To delete it from you programs list, you need to remove all entries in the registry that refer to that hotfix. Be sure to backup the registry before doing so.

3. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks. But it isn't going to harm anything, right? I mean, what are they anyways?

4. pinntech

pinntech

It should not harm anything by deleting them. However, if you have a HOTFIX that you want to remove later on, you will not be able to remove it from the conventional means.

If you are not hurting for HDD space, it is recommended that you leave them on your HDD.

5. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

Am I safe just burning them to a CD for future use if needed?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's really no way to use them once on CD. They only contain the backup files that were replaced when you installed an update. Each one contains the old files for one update. If your machine is working OK and the updates are now successfully integrated into the OS, just dump them. Your installation CD also contains all the original files.

It neatens things to remove these entries from Add/Remove, too.

7. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

When I go to do this through Add/Remove, it tells me it will restore the previous configuration though. Is that ok?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. You don't want to do that. That will remove the updates that you have installed and put back the old files. You only want to remove the entries from Add/Remove without actually removing the updates themselves. This is similar to removing an entry that remains there after you have uninstalled a program--it sometimes stays there even though the program is gone.

Download and install this RegCleaner:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

Run the program. Click the button at the top that says "Uninstall Menu". Go through the list and check all the Hotfix entries. Ten, click the Remove button at the bottom--not the Uninstall button. This will ehe entries without altering any of the programs.

9. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

I downloaded the program following the link you provided, however it gave me a program called "TweakNow RegCleaner" that doesn't match the description you provided. The screen shot provided on the page following this link matches what you describe, but the program does not. (screen shot is of RegCleaner 4.2 while download is TweakNow RegCleaner 4.3).

Can you find another link to this program?

Thanks.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Isn't that strange? That looks like a nice program, and I'll try it out the next time I do a reg cleaning, but it certainly is not the one I meant.

It took some looking (A new version of the program is out that is not free, so most of the links to the free version are dead now), but here's a copy on a German FTP site:

ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/.disk0/filepilot/windows/system/RegCleaner.exe

11. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I've always deleted those folders after waiting a few days to make sure a hotfix hasn't caused some problem or other. That's never happened.

12. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

Thanks, Elvandil. I downloaded it and ran it and it works great. I appreciate the schooling.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice