1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ntuser.dat/Admin Account Profle Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dolphiness1976, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dolphiness1976

dolphiness1976 Thread Starter

You can laugh, but please don't call me an idiot... :)

I accidently deleted the name associated with one of my admin accounts, not realizing the entry was supposed to be there. So, I created a new account and thought I could copy the ntuser.dat files to the new account. Problem is the ntuser.dat files did not have my old
    profile, it had a new "default" profile. (Luckily, I've been able to recover most of my files.)

My question is:

It looks like maybe I recovered an old registry . Any chance there is
    an old copy of my ntuser.dat file(s) that I can copy to my new user
    profile? If so, how would I "reload" the recovered registry.

Thanks so much,

Sarah

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Not knowing any of the system stats for your computer and since you are in the area for Windows XP here is a possible answer for Windows XP.

How to recover the damaged user profile in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555473/en-us

Oh I would never call anybody an idiot but I might give a little chuckle once and a while. If the above does not help please re-post and give some system statistics.

3. dolphiness1976

Thank you very much for the welcome.

So sorry, I thought I had included this part, too.

The ntuser.dat files that were deleted belonged to the admin account. It seems I had renamed my admin account to, for ex. "Sarah". I saw that I had 2 admin accounts, so I deleted the "Sarah" account, which then deleted that entire admin account.

System stats:

XP Pro sp1, 60 gb, 256mg

I'm sorry, I 'm not quite sure which specific stats you want. Let me know and I will provide.

Sarah

4. dolphiness1976

I accidentally deleted one of my admin accounts and all the files associated went with it.

I used a file recovery software and was able to find a lot of my files, at least the My Docs files.

I think I recovered old registry files, they have the curly brackets round 'em. I could be wrong tho.

Do the registry files contain anything useful to me to reload some of my user settings and if so, how do I restore them?

Thanks!

Sarah

5. dolphiness1976

I accidentally deleted one of my admin accounts. There were 2, but I only used 1. I deleted one of the users and it happened to be that main admin account.

Anyways, I was able to recover a lot(?) of the files. My personal files I know what to do with. Are the other files any good to help restore my system? All the user settings are gone.

Is there any hope?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you delete the account named "Administrator"?

7. dolphiness1976

I had renamed one of the admin accounts to 'Sarah'. In task manager under users, the line associated was blank. I thought it was an extra account. I deleted it and the admin account and ALL the files went with it.

8. dolphiness1976

I am confused about this site. Can someone please explain how it works? I have posted a few questions. On 2 of my posts, a guy replied with a question about it. I answered and never heard from them again, much less anyone else. Did I take too long to reply back to them? Are my questions too hard, too stupid or not possible?

Please, someone tell me how this site works. I want my system settings back. If it's not possible to have them back, can someone please tell me? Then I'll start adding them back manually. If I should post my questions somewhere else within or outside of this site, please tell me where.

Any info is appreciated,

Thanks

Previous Posts:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=542702

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=542687

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=542198

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Those three threads all look the same. That's a no-no because it's too difficult to keep track of what is going on. For two of them, please click on the red triangle in the upper right and ask a moderator to close or merge them.

As the forum guidelines state, if you haven't had a response in about 24 hours post a "bump." That will bring your thread to the front of the line again, and people who weren't active the day before will see it.

If somebody responds once but then not again sometimes it's because they have no more ideas, or they haven't had a chance to return to the forum, or they think that somebody else is responding satisfactorily.

I think that when you delete an account that account's documents (in "My Documents") are deleted, but I'm not sure. Look in Documents and Settings (on your hard drive) and see if there is a folder for the deleted account. If there is, see what files are still there. If there is no such folder I hope you had backups of your important files.

If this has answered your "discouraged" question satisfactorily please mark the thread 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right. Oh, one more thing--I've noticed that Friday afternoon and night seem to be pretty slow here relative to other days and times.

10. dolphiness1976

I just tried to respond to you and hit the wrong button.

I didn't want you to think I wasn't responding.

Coming Soon....

11. dolphiness1976

Thank you so much for your reply. I have a better idea of the process here.

As for the posts, I didn't think they were the same question. I figured since I didn't get any answers and people were viewing my post, no one knew the answer, so I tried to broaden the question thinking I was being too specific or asking something that wasn't possible which is why no one has answered. Yeah, I checked everywhere for the files. When I deleted the account I researched where to look for the files and I couldn't find em anywhere. So, I put the HD in another computer, ran recovery software and put the files back on the original machine.

I guess what I want to know is if the files not part of 'My Docs' folder are worth anything. Can they help get my system back to its original state before I deleted the admin account?

Thanks again.

Sarah

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi dolphiness1976

All posts have been merged to this thread.
    Please continue replies for this issue here.

Thank you

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not sure just what you mean by "original state." If you mean things like folder options and which screen saver and power options and Start menu and screen resolution, etc., then my guess is that you are better off just setting things up again. Each time you do so it gets easier. :)

14. dolphiness1976

Yes, those are the files I am talking about.

So all the other files I recovered are garbage? Do you know how to tell?

BTW, I had my postings consolidated together. Thanks for all the tips.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "So all the other files I recovered are garbage? Do you know how to tell?"

I don't know. And, no. Sorry.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!