1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ntuser.dat is blue XP all users profile

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Muleskiner, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Muleskiner

Muleskiner Thread Starter

Unit where I work are having issues with the NTuser.dat file name in the All Users,turning blue. Applications are then corrupted and PC slows down. with that other problems occur requiring the unit to be reimaged. Quick fix has been to delete the NTUser.dat and the user's profile. This does not always correct the problem. My questions are: What causes the file name to go from black to blue? What causes the applications to be slow or not to work or work properly?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Normally blue means the file/folder has been compressed, usually you can right click on the file and select Properties, then click the advanced button, then Untick "compress contents to save disk space", hit OK, OK.

This compression usually happens when you do a disk clean up and tell it to compress old files to save disk space, which I always Uncheck this option.

3. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

or blue could indicate encryption

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Encrypted files are Green, when you highlight them they change to Dark Blue

5. Muleskiner

I have heard of this but I believe there is more to it. The blue files indicate 0 bytes yet some will still open )blue desktop( and will run some of the shortcuts. Normally it takes longer to open the application. Sometimes it dosent do anything. It is irratic and I cannot say this is the problem or that is. My current work orders now have one unit has the white active directory renew screen. Another not open the application for the doctor to enter his notes and another takes 15-20 minutes to open outlook. Doing the quick fix I stated before, the doctor was able to open the application and the Active Directory issue was resolved. The unit with the Outlook issue had to be replaced. The profile could not be deleted even in sysadmin, other prograams caused memory errors and could not be repaired. In the interest of customer service I replaced the unit and all was well. I do not denigh the compressed concept but most of the users would not know how even if they had permissions. My questions are intended to find the root cause so the network administrator can address the issue. This Hospitol has over 4000 PCs plus a host of other equipment. and this is happening all over the hospital with in a way that I cannotfind a path because it is irratic in both, location and how it effects the PC. This is happening way too often and using up our reserve units too fast.
    Thanks for your help both now and advance.

6. Muleskiner

Thanks for your response. Encription is not the issue. While some users have PKI encription for their Outlook, most do not. I will however add that as a possibility while I'm looking for a pattern for the problem.
    Thanks again

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Malware is another possibility.

8. Muleskiner

Yes I thought of that . For the past 2 months We have been hit with an Official looking McAfee windows indicating the PC has one or mor viruses with the question do you want to scan your HDD. Some has said yes and it opened the door for multiple viruses and have to be reimaged. I've asked the users have they seen or done this. Some did, Other says they did not."Code of Honer, right." I cannot disput the ones who say they didn't.
    Thanks again

9. Muleskiner

Normally they are black. they are blue

Attached Files:

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Go to this board, read the first "Sticky" at the top very carefully, then post your log on the Hijack board for expert help. Post what you have stated here also.

http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware...jackthis-logs/

they can help you with determining what if any malware is on the sytem.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice