1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NTVDM CPU error with XP Pro Corp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by exelent650, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exelent650

exelent650 Thread Starter

Today I went on a site and my internet browser froze up, all of a sudden a bunch of MS-DOS errors started popping up, probably like 6 of them at once, I then tried to use Task Manager to terminate everything and it says that the administrator of this computer has disabled it!
    So I just restarted the computer...
    (Task manager worked fine before this incident by the way, but I fixed that, on a site I found something to type into 'Run' to get task manager back..)
    After I restarted the computer like 6 of those same MS-DOS errors came up again.. I closed them all but now once every 10 minutes or so you can see MS-DOS flash on for a second then automatically close..
    After this happend, you know, the MS-DOS popping up 6 times by itself and Task Manager being disabled without me doing it after the incident of the internet browser freezing I did a virus scan with AVG and spyware scan with ADAWARE and it still does it.

Here is what the error box says when the MS-DOS opens by itself.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DL5EB7~1.EXE
    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
    CS:0540 IP:0115fe 3d 16 b4 84 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

So I tried typing DL5EB7~1.EXE into google.com and got nothing, also tried searching it in my system32 folder and didn't seem to find anything.

Do you think this is some sort of attack on my pc and how do I fix this?

Thanks.

BTW:

I am using Windows XP Pro Corp
    IBM Thinkpad T42 1.8Ghz (Pentium M) and 512MB MEM

2. exelent650

exelent650 Thread Starter

3. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome :)

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe.
    Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!