1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ntvdm error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roadranger, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadranger

roadranger Thread Starter

rollin' rog -
    i see the previous thread has closed, but i'm having a similar ntvdm error message problem with a couple of old games. the problems are with galaxian, galaga, and donkey kong ( old champ games). these games worked just fine until i upgraded my computer a couple of months ago. my previous setup was: windows xp home edition sp2, amd athlon 64 3400 cpu, crucial pc3200 memory (2-512mb), bfg geforce 68256gt video card, msi k8t neo fis2r motherboard, and a nec 17" lcd monitor.
    after upgrading to: windows xp home edition sp3, intel e6850 cpu, kingston hyperx pc1066/8500 2x1gb memory,evga geforce 8800gt 512-p3-n802-ar video card, msi p35 neo2-fr motherboard, and a dell sp2208wfp monitor. after my upgrade, all of my computer games worked fine accept the three mentioned above from champ games. they would install fine, but when i double-clicked the icon to start the games, it would give me a "16 bit ms-dos subsystem" "the ntvdm cpu has encountered an illegal instruction".
    i saw on a previous post, that the files command.com and regedit.com are malware. i did find command.com in my systems32 file and deleted it. after doing that, i reinstalled the games and tried to run them again. this time, i get the error message "16 bit ms-dos subsystem" "c:\champ\galaxia\galaxia.exe config.nt the system file is not suitable for running ms=dos and microsoft windows applications"
    the path is a little different for each of those 3 games, but the error message is the same. these ran perfectly fine with my original setup mentioned above. i went into the properties of the games and tried the windows 95, windows 98, and windows nt compatible selections plus the 256 colors, 800 x 600 resolution, etc, but got the same results.

please e-mail me any help. thanks [email protected]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!