1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ntvdm.exe not responding

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nenaboba, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nenaboba

nenaboba Thread Starter

I've recently installed this old ('96) game called Hodj 'n Podj and tried to run it. The introductory part works fine, but then it just freezes and the screen goes black. When I forcefully terminate the program, I get the following message: "you chose to end the nonresponsive program, NTVDM.exe. The program is not responding'.
    I have Windows XP Professional with all the updates installed.
    I googled this problem right and left, checked the Microsoft support pages, read a lot of forum threads, but in the end nothing I found on ntvdm errors seem to apply in my case.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks!

p.s. I hesitated if to post this thread here on in the game section. ultimately, I think it's a windows problem.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Maybe it will work in the Compatibility Mode with, say, Windows '98. Go Start>Help & Support and key Compatibility Mode in as a search - it explains it all.

3. nenaboba

nenaboba Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion, Saga.
    I´ve tried that already.
    I also run the Games & Multimedia Troubleshooter in Windows Help and tried most of the things suggested there: closed all other programs, lowered the DirectDraw Refresh rate, lowered graphics hardware accelerated settings etc. Nothing so far.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!