1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Num lock working intermittently in form fields

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barbiegal7, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbiegal7

barbiegal7 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have an ASUS computer running Windows 7. In the last few weeks, I started having problems with the NUM LOCK keys intermittently not working in form fields. The NUM LOCK light is on, and if I use the pad in the URL field, for example, it works fine, or in a Word document. But sometimes I will be in a form where I need to fill in a phone number, etc., and when I go to use the number keys, the work like the arrow keys instead. The NUM LOCK light is still on, and if I immediately, on the same page, go up to the URL bar and try them, the numerals work, but back in a form field, and nothing.

I was using the ASUS keyboard that came with the computer, so I tried updating the driver - no result.

I took my husband's HP keyboard, and I have the same problem, so it seems there is some issue from a software or Windows standpoint causing the problem.

Interestingly, if I go into Control panel, Ease of Access, Change How Your Keyboard Works and change NOTHING but then close that window out, the num lock keys will begin working in the forms...for awhile. But then it goes right back. It seems just the act of going into the screen that alters your keyboard is enough to make it start working for a bit, which makes no sense, I realize.

For the record, in that screen, "turn on mouse keys" is not checked. In fact, nothing is checked.

Any ideas??? I am not super computer savvy as far as altering reg keys, etc., so if you can give specific instructions to try if you have an idea, I'd most appreciate it.

I hope someone has a clue. I use my NUM LOCK pad constantly for my business, and this is really frustrating!

Thank you!

2. barbiegal7

barbiegal7 Thread Starter

Wow, I've posted this in more than one tech forum and no one seems to have an answer. I now leave the "make the keyboard easier to use" window open, and just the act of going in, changing something around and unchanging it, then hitting "apply" makes the num lock pad work for at least an hour or so and then it stops again. No one??

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If this only happens in an Internet browser the browser could be to blame, try a different one and see if it still happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice